PDA

View Full Version : Weird shimmy I can't get rid of.....

EvilSpeeder
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok, I have this weird shimmy in my front end. I've re-balanced the front wheels (several times), swapped out tires, checked the rims for runout, and it's still there. It comes and goes and varies in intensity. It gets worse at higher speed but seems to go away over about 85. It seems to be two things that are phased and will either cancel or amplify each other....it will come and go while maintaining the same speed. I can't feel it in the movements of the car but the steering wheel goes crazy. It makes the fat on my arms shake funny (and I'm not fat).

Anybody have any ideas? It did this before I switched clutches as well.

haynceli05
05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
man i kind of have the same problem... i talked to a couple of places and said its probably the CV joint.. i am getting my CV replaced this week and i will hit u bak up if that solved the problem.. alright man peace

Adrian Avgerinos
05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
So the problem is independant of the wheels? Does it happen when you are cruising? Braking? Check all the bolts on your suspension. Maybe one is loose.

EvilSpeeder
05-25-2005, 05:00 AM
It doesn't seem to matter if it's on or off throttle or on the brakes. I haven't done a bolt check...

85gtsblackman
05-25-2005, 05:14 AM
when u got your wheels balanced were they road force tested

42qn30
05-27-2005, 04:11 AM
could be tie rods, axel, or wheel bearing. See if you can move the wheel side to side with your hands. if you can then the wheel bearing is bad.

cruehead123
06-19-2005, 12:53 AM
what about an alignment? Because say your car drifts to the left when you let go of the steering wheel on a straight road, and when you hold it straight its actually forcing the wheels straight, I'd say that would make it shimmey n' shake...mine does the same thing, im hoping once i get my new struts and springs on, get my alignment and wheels rebalanced it will stop my steering wheel from shaking