PDA

View Full Version : Why not the dimmer switch?

elektrateq
05-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Why would reverse indiglo gauges warn one not to wire them to the dimmer switch? It's a 12 volts source just like any other. I even checked it with a voltameter. 12.08volts. I would think that the dimmer switch lowers the voltage and never raises it above 12v so wheres the harm in wiring the gauges up to it? It says wire them to a 12v source...

david in germany
05-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Probably because (just a guess here) they must have a continuos 12v. If you dim the lights down in the dash it is no longer getting full power (I think the dimmer reduces the ground though so you may be creating a bad ground that would fry the little electrons in the faces)

Blackcloud
05-23-2005, 12:24 PM
From what i remember it has something to do with the type of light that it is that it will burn it out..

elektrateq
05-23-2005, 11:16 PM
hmmm... possible but still doesn't make that much sense. Well. best not try it. So now i turn to the parking lights I suppose (to make them come on at night only) but, am i gonna be blowin fuses?

schmooot
05-24-2005, 09:30 PM
not enough amps through the dimmer switch, thus the indiglo won't light up

Punisher
05-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Because Indiglo gauges use EL panels to light the gauges... EL panels use high voltage (200V give or take) but they run very very small amount of current (amps). SO it all works out in the end.

Now, the EL panels run off of an inverter.. which takes 12V at say.. 10amps and turns it into 200V at say .05amp (not thinking about the actual math just using a number).. so they will work FINE if you run through dimmer.. you just won't be able to use the dimmer.. need to leave it at max. brightness.

If you run through dimmer and turn the dimmer down.. the lights will shut off.. not enough voltage.

The dimmer trims the voltage, not ground quality.

schmooot
05-27-2005, 03:58 AM
but they just won't work period if you splice into the dimmer circuit. The circuit itself isn't built to handle the extra load

Blackcloud
05-28-2005, 03:14 AM
that makes since

AllOutRed90
05-28-2005, 05:08 AM
actually i have no scientific data to back it up but....

when i had in my gauges! i took the power wire and shoved it in a empty whole in the back of the dimmer switch plug...and grounded it to a bolt below the kickpanel....

when lights are turned on then the gauges glow at full unless varied with the included TRD controller...so there for you can ground to frame and stick power wire to dimmer switch...

but then you have 2 gauge lights stock and new ones...haha

Punisher
05-28-2005, 08:06 AM
There is no extra load... If the idea is to remove all of the stock backlighting gauge bulbs and plug the indiglo lights in then there is no extra load.. It takes less amp than the stock bulb setup.

AllOutRed90
05-28-2005, 05:11 PM
i dunno but mine worked and i was happy with it haha

schmooot
06-01-2005, 03:51 AM
There is no extra load... If the idea is to remove all of the stock backlighting gauge bulbs and plug the indiglo lights in then there is no extra load.. It takes less amp than the stock bulb setup.
it still has lights in the heater control panel and the stock radio too but I guess that makes sense....I dunno but I tried hooking a 12V neon stick into that circuit once and it just didn't light up, EL gauges are probably way less draw than a neon transformer though

elektrateq
06-06-2005, 11:06 PM
...so there for you can ground to frame and stick power wire to dimmer switch...

So your gauges worked fine? How long have they been working ok? What wires did you tap?

So I could just pull out the stock bulbs instead of cutting the wires so they wouldn't draw anymore current and I wouldn't have to cut. Then I could just tap the dimmer switch and ground somewhere else. Anyone ever ruin their gauges this way? I think at this point I'm willing to try it just to find out and report back to everyone. Thank you for everyone who has been interested in the topic. I'll try and do a write up... to bad I have no camera.