PDA

View Full Version : Best Launch RPM

bloodredgt
12-08-2004, 08:42 PM
hey guys... I would like to know what rpm you rev up to launch when you guys are racing from a dig. This would be at the race track and on street tires.

Adrian Avgerinos
12-08-2004, 08:59 PM
On my engine I rev to about 3000rpm and feather the clutch. On yours it's probably going to be above 4000. Not having raced a 5S-FE, I can't say for sure though.

Trance4c
12-08-2004, 10:07 PM
I give it around 3200-3300 and feather the clutch as well. You'll never be able to 'dig' it.. or launch it by just dumping the clutch so to say, its a FWD setup. Feathering the clutch and working the gas is the best way to go.

T-spoon
12-09-2004, 12:42 AM
My best launches so far in the alltrac and MR2 were at higher RPM, say 4-5.5k, but that's not going to work so hot on a FF car generally unless you have very not-stock axels and drag radials. And yeah, even the AWD seemed to do better when feathered, haven't run into a car that dropping the clutch is better, though they may exist. Keeping our 5s Celica from either not gripping at all or getting horrendous wheel hop and still launching hard is almost impossible, but could just be the tires and driver :)

Trance4c
12-09-2004, 01:21 AM
but could just be the tires and driver :)

This does play a very large roll. The kumho rubber I had when I first did my swap sucked ass.. didn't lock up worth a damn. I then went to a cooper tire that was a bit beefier and they are heaven on my FWD setup. I can barely get it to break loose unless I just absolutely mash the gas. Before, you wouldn't have to mash the gas.. it would just start to go everywhere. Even getting a chirp out of 3rd is a very difficult task on the cooper tires, but I could rev it all the way out and shift hard enough into 3rd on the kumho and just start burning rubber at 60mph.

So you can't underestimate how much tires and a good suspension go into give you a good launch.

Aust162
12-09-2004, 03:00 AM
i've got really worn out 14" toyo proxes h4's on my swap and i cant launch above 2500k (when dumping the clutch)without it wheel-hopping for all of 1st gear and the beginnning of 2nd. when i feather the clutch (i assume "feather" the clutch means to ride it a bit??)i can launch at about 2000rpm quiet well. again thou, as clayton said it has alot to do with your tyres, susp setup and the driver. my tyres are dead so..

T-spoon
12-09-2004, 04:00 AM
Well our Celica has good suspension, it's gotta be the tires, it has Kumho 711s on it right now, and I thought I remembered actually being able to launch when I had AVS ES100s on it, it'd been so long though. These 711s really do seem to suck.

spoolin_gt
12-25-2004, 05:46 AM
with the 3sgte...i usually launch at about 3krpm or so....nothing above 4 cuz it will just jump to redline and over rev.......3k is the smoothest out of all the rpms....it usually jumps to 6-7k then drops to 4rpm where turbo is fully spooled up and when your tires fully get traction and it just pulls you all the way to 6.5kpm..it's also different if you're using an mr2 tranny w/ lsd....

Conny
01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
My car works best if I start at 6000rpm and then side step of clutch, the car is spinning half first gear. I have a 6 pucks sinter clutch so the clutch is not slipping.

Mr E
01-06-2005, 11:36 PM
5 grand. Full bore. Sidestep the clutch.*

* this method may result in a transmission rebuild rather frequently.