PDA

View Full Version : 93 Celica GT 2.2 5S-FE: Help With Bad Idle/stalling and smells like its burning rich

boatanchors66
02-22-2018, 01:57 AM
I Have a 93 Celica GT 2.2. I am having a Idle issues and the car smells like its burning very rich, The idling issues started recently and has never given a Check Engine Light. I did notice that unplugging the Map sensor did make the care start idling better but now its unplugged the check engine light comes on, Once I plug the Map sensor back in the light goes away and the engine starts idling bad again.. One thing I have done is I unplugged the line coming from the VSV to the top of the EGR and applied vacuum to the EGR and the car idle got better. So now I am trying to locate the VSV so I can test to see if the relay in the VSV is working correctly but what I am reading in the Service manual it says the VSV is down by the Manifold but so far no luck locating it.. Just not sure were to go with the whole idling issue.. Am I heading in the right direction.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Problem solved
The main cause was a Map sensor which caused, rough idle/stalling, Burning Rich and once it warmed up it would have a lack of power, I could press the gas peddle to the floor and it would just fall on its face. I also found a ECT ( engine coolant temp sensor) bad. The weird thing of the map sensor was it never threw a Check Engine Light ever from the day it started. I tried unplugging the Map sensor and the check engine light would come on, Plug it back in and it went away..I hope this might help someone else in resolving the same problem...

celica91gts
03-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Thanks for posting the solution.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-07-2018, 12:46 AM
That is weird the MAP sensor not throwing a code. It most have be sending an in range, but incorrect, signal to the ECU.

sefiro
03-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Good find.vAs fyi for future. . .

MAP only sends signal of pressure amount to the ecu. The ECU assumes all range is ok, and a severe range will result too much adjustment on the injector pulse rate. T'ng the vacuum hose will allow measuring and adjusting the vacuum to see changes in signal.

The VSV on 91 is located backside of engine, passenger side, accessible from underneath. Vacuum lines connect to metal pipes attached to the backside, then back to hose to connect to the VSV. I have 93 in the yard, and will check its VSV location.

There are procedures to follow to test the EGR, controls like VSV in the FSM. In general, EGR is only open at medium RPM. sometimes the pintle on these will get fouled with soot and keep the valve open slightly. These can be cleaned and reinstalled.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk