PDA

View Full Version : Neewbie in search of guidance

silverblue65
02-15-2018, 06:37 AM
Hello everyone out there.
If you don't know I'm new to this forum and new-ish to Toyotas, but not new to working on old cars. The majority of my experience comes from old Fords, but for now Ive moved on to other things. I'm working on a 1978 Celica Gt (RA42). Before I get chirped on my car choices; yes I know everyone thinks its ugly, and yes I could be have started with something much cooler. With that out of the way, I love this car and Im sticking to my plan of making it something special. It was my best friends car and It hasn't been on the road in probably 15years. Its filthy and unloved, which is perfect for me. I'm here looking for advice and the best direction to go with my build. I have a pretty solid idea where I want go with it, but I'm flexible and eager for wisdom.

Current things I'm tackling include:
- front suspension (and possible back suspension)
- front brakes
- wheel and tire choices

Ive been back and forth about the front suspension. I think Corolla AE86 front coilovers are the easiest way to go in many ways. Techno toy tuning and Battle Garage have some awesome stuff. Does anyone have any experience with their suspension pieces?
On top of having the stock Celica struts and brakes, which to my knowledge no one makes performance stuff for, I also have brake and strut assemblies from a Supra MA61. I love the Supra MKll spindles because they look so beefy and there is a couple brake systems out there. Has anyone used these on an early Celica?
This is a short list of what I'm kicking around so far.
Long term goals include
- 3sge Beams swap
- 6speed manual
- Upgraded disk brakes front and back
- Enkei compe wheels (15" or 16" wheels, not sure yet)

Thanks in advance, let me know what you all think. I will post pictures.

bloodMoney
02-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Welcome!

You are correct in that there isn't much following for the 2nd gen celicas.... That being said, I think you're on the right path as far as suspension goes. It's going to be a mix-and-match deal from the toyota parts bin.

I'm not sure I've seen a modified 2nd gen, now that I think about it... I can't say that I haven't thought about building one, purely as a fuck you car, but there's never enough spare cash...

I don't know that I would go with a BEAMS in this chassis though... Maybe a UZ with a CD009 behind it.

You do you though, and post lot of pictures!

METDeath
02-16-2018, 02:03 AM
So, the one T3 part I've ordered was well made, but lacking detailed instructions. However, is still going strong.

KoreanJoey
02-23-2018, 08:16 AM
I've run a lot of T3 stuff in the past. I still run some of it now. Mostly I make my own but what I've gotten from them, in the past, has been good.