PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to removing drivers side CV?

underscore
01-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Like the title says, any tricks to popping that sucker free with the trans out of the car? I undid all the bolts holding on the little opening by mistake, I'm not sure if that makes it harder or not.

Il_Barone
01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
What is the "CV"?

4thgenceli
01-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Il_Barone -- the 'CV' stands for Constant Velocity. Here in the states the FWD axles are typically called CV Axles, or Constant Velocity Axles.

Underscore -- the driver's side axle is held in by a snap ring. Best bet would be to use a prybar and find a leverage point you can use to pop it out of the transmission housing. You could also try a slide hammer to give it that extra kick to pop past the snap ring. It'll take some effort to get it outta there.

Il_Barone
01-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Thank you :)

underscore
01-23-2018, 06:07 AM
I didn't realize it has a snap ring, that would explain why I couldn't make any progress whatsoever lol. Is it possible to knock it out from the other side even with that big bar across the middle? I haven't been able to get solid footing for the end of the prybar on anything.

bloodMoney
01-25-2018, 02:55 PM
I usually get on the axle with a long screwdriver and a hammer.

It does sometimes help to have someone on the end of the alxe pulling with a constant force while you're smacking the inner stub.

underscore
01-25-2018, 03:47 PM
I bolted the flange thing back on and managed to get it out, the output seal was already going to be replaced so I didn't worry about mangling it a bit. I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it without damaging that thin metal lip though, I'll have to bend that back into shape.

bloodMoney
01-25-2018, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it without damaging that thin metal lip though, I'll have to bend that back into shape.

Yea... I usually don't worry about bending the dust shield back into place. It really doesn't affect anything.

underscore
01-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Ok cool, I didn't think it was very important but didn't know for sure.

Il_Barone
01-26-2018, 02:28 PM
I usually get on the axle with a long screwdriver and a hammer.

It does sometimes help to have someone on the end of the alxe pulling with a constant force while you're smacking the inner stub.

Quote.

eddison
02-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Good tricks and tips here.

underscore
02-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Getting it back in was a little fiddly as well, but not nearly as annoying as getting it out. Now I just need to sort out why my shifter is so sloppy and why I can't get 5th gear or reverse. It made the highway driving I did this weekend very, very noisy.

4thgenceli
02-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Check out your shifter bushings. Go for some brass ones -- they'll firm up your shifts greatly (link below). The may be so worn out (they're rubber from the factory) that your shifts feel really freaking sloppy.

Shifter bushings --
http://speed-source.net/?wpsc-product=toyotascion-shifter-bushings

underscore
02-12-2018, 05:41 PM
The transmission ends looked okay, but I'm assuming they're original and it has 317k km so they're probably pretty worn. I'm going to check the shifter side today. When I'm in 3rd I can move the shifter all the way to either side without anything actually happening.