PDA

View Full Version : So, here's the new ride.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2017, 02:28 AM
Picked-up it up tonight. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I had test driven on automatic 86 back in March and found it to be pretty good. I ordered a manual. An awesome 5 additional horsepower. Stiffer body structure than prior years though.

A few observations from my first 30 or so miles.
1. The clutch with the damn helper spring is WAAAAY to light. Nothing like I'm used to. That spring is coming out as soon as I have a free moment. I've read that is supposed to help a lot. Some of you older folks will know what I mean when I say it is the equivalent of the '70 Chrysler power steering.
2. I don't think it's underpowered like a lot of people bitch about. During break in, you're not supposed to go about 4K and it makes peak power well above that. I'm pleased with what I'm seeing so far.
3. Six gear is a little notchy right now. I'm hoping that smooth's out as it breaks in. The transmission shifts great thought and the gear spacing is really close. The ratios seem to be good so far too.
4. Handling is great. I am not disappointed.

So far, I like it. It's not an All Trac but this is a new chapter.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/7/9/1/gt86-resize.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=24625)

Murgatroy
09-19-2017, 03:12 AM
I think of old Chevy Power Steering, the whole one finger thing. Thankfully the Mustang has adjustable electric power steering.

I still think the Fiesta ST is the most fun car I have driven recently.

I read an article this afternoon that said Toyota might be coming out with a new FWD entry sporty vehicle called the Celica for the 2020 MY. I almost cried.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2017, 09:42 AM
I read an article this afternoon that said Toyota might be coming out with a new FWD entry sporty vehicle called the Celica for the 2020 MY. I almost cried.

I've seen several different things on this the past couple of days. The only firm thing that I've seen is that Toyota retrademarked the Celica name. They did this with the Supra name a couple of years ago, not too long before the Toyota/BMW car showed up in camouflage. I just hope they don't stick it on the production version of that goof SFR they showed a year or two ago. That reeks of that weird Japanese home market design you saw a lot of in the early '90s. Not a big fan of that. Would love to the see the name come back on a fitting car though.

bloodMoney
09-19-2017, 01:28 PM
I'd love to see a 1g throwback in terms of styling.

I've also heard that the new Supra will possibly be released under the Celica Supra namesake... I just hope that they load a decent Toyota powerplant into it.

EDIT:

Congrats on the new ride Mike!

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks Chris. Everything I'm hearing on the inside is saying a BMW powerplant. Probably some version of the twin turbo six they're using in the 3/4 series cars. This unfortunately would make sense given the codevelopment with the Z5 or what ever BMW is calling there version.

underscore
09-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Nice car! They're on my list of things to test out if my GTFour ever sells, but that's not very likely.

As for the new Supra, if it comes with a BMW engine I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. One of my favourite things about Toyota is their reliability and low maintenance costs, things that BMW isn't exactly known for. Hopefully they renew the Alltrac/GTFour names as well to go with Celica.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2017, 07:39 PM
I tend to believe the BMW engine story unfortunately. Toyota doesn't have an inline six now that I'm aware of and the extra engineering cost to make chassis fit the in line & a V6 was probably more than either company wanted to spend on a nice vehicle. I'm with you though, not crazy about the Beemer engine. Maintenance costs with be high as well I expect.

lalojamesliz
09-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Picked-up it up tonight. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I had test driven on automatic 86 back in March and found it to be pretty good. I ordered a manual. An awesome 5 additional horsepower. Stiffer body structure than prior years though.

A few observations from my first 30 or so miles.
1. The clutch with the damn helper spring is WAAAAY to light. Nothing like I'm used to. That spring is coming out as soon as I have a free moment. I've read that is supposed to help a lot. Some of you older folks will know what I mean when I say it is the equivalent of the '70 Chrysler power steering.
2. I don't think it's underpowered like a lot of people bitch about. During break in, you're not supposed to go about 4K and it makes peak power well above that. I'm pleased with what I'm seeing so far.
3. Six gear is a little notchy right now. I'm hoping that smooth's out as it breaks in. The transmission shifts great thought and the gear spacing is really close. The ratios seem to be good so far too.
4. Handling is great. I am not disappointed.

So far, I like it. It's not an All Trac but this is a new chapter.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/7/9/1/gt86-resize.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=24625)

Looking good! 3s-gte swap? :)

ChrisD
09-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Nice and congrats! Should be totally fun. :)

Nitro_Alltrac
09-22-2017, 10:53 PM
So far I'm loving it. I'm going to try to get a chance to pull the helper spring off of the clutch pedal this weekend. The clutch is fine but with that spring in place the feeling is very vague.

Other than that, the car is great. The handling is outstanding. I'm looking forward to getting through the breakin period so I can start going above 4000.

5thgenkeeper
09-23-2017, 03:39 AM
If they were smart they'd build a 2GR-GSE. Or even a turbo motor.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-27-2017, 02:18 AM
The turbo would be ideal. The 2GR would throw the balance way off.

The Captain
09-29-2017, 03:29 AM
http://store.worksmotorsports.com/Innovate_Motorsports_Supercharger_Kit_p/inn.6010-6013.htm

CriScO
09-29-2017, 05:20 AM
http://store.worksmotorsports.com/Innovate_Motorsports_Supercharger_Kit_p/inn.6010-6013.htm

...YES!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nitro_Alltrac
09-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Oh, don't think I haven't been looking into SC options. The FA20 responds well to them.

BabyBear
09-29-2017, 06:50 PM
If you're gonna go SC, get either the Jackson Racing kit, or the Edlebrock kit. I ran the Jackson Racing kit on mine when I had it and quite liked it, though I'd probably have gone with the Edlebrock kit if I were to do it again. I don't like the Innovate one, and the Vortech one was also pretty disappointing when I rode in one that had it.

jdm_celica_gts
09-29-2017, 11:01 PM
Congrats on the new car, she's a beauty. Having said that.....

If I were you I wouldn't waste time going with a sc. Just go with full blown motorsports turbo kit. Having rode in both I would recommend the turbo any day. Which is what I plan to put on my brz soon. Sc will top out around 270 whp on pump gas and 450 ish on e85. Turbo will be about 300 whp on 10psi and sky's the limit with that. My buddies car is making 570whp and it feels like a rocket. Plus you get all the good sounds (turbo spool, wastegate, and bov.)

Shadowlife25
10-08-2017, 01:46 AM
Congratulations Mike! She's a looker. :)

Murgatroy
10-08-2017, 05:46 AM
If you're gonna go SC, get either the Jackson Racing kit, or the Edlebrock kit. I ran the Jackson Racing kit on mine when I had it and quite liked it, though I'd probably have gone with the Edlebrock kit if I were to do it again. I don't like the Innovate one, and the Vortech one was also pretty disappointing when I rode in one that had it.

And then you bought a Big Boy car. With a flat plane V8. I still wet myself thinking about it.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Congratulations Mike! She's a looker. :)

Thanks Mario.