PDA

View Full Version : Rear Strut conversion question

lalojamesliz
08-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Some guy on all-trac dot net offered me a set of 4 struts for my insert conversion for $250 shipped. I don't know if that is a good price because of the rarity but it Sounds like a lot of cash to me.

I know other toyota cars have inserts up front like a 92 camry my mom had. Could I just use the top half of different struts that take inserts instead of finding a front set of st185 struts?

Sounds possible to me but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure...
Thanks guys.

I used to love this forum but now it's almost dead :(
Everyone needs to drop what they are doing and bring this sheet back to life :)

KoreanJoey
08-09-2017, 02:30 PM
I've cut off the threaded portion from a strut and fit it on strut cars without the threading. I'm not sure which cars work but I would just check the OD of the insert and find another that match. IIRC I just used a front strut, most of the inserts should be the same size.

lalojamesliz
08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
sweet! it should work then. only thing to worry about is ruining my rear struts by cutting too much off .... :) measure 15x and cut once

underscore
08-10-2017, 05:13 AM
You just need the threaded piece from the fronts, correct? Toyota used that same housing on lots of vehicles, including the 1st gen Matrix I believe.

KoreanJoey
08-10-2017, 06:18 AM
sweet! it should work then. only thing to worry about is ruining my rear struts by cutting too much off .... :) measure 15x and cut once

Nice thing about metal is you can always add more.

lalojamesliz
08-16-2017, 07:14 AM
You just need the threaded piece from the fronts, correct? Toyota used that same housing on lots of vehicles, including the 1st gen Matrix I believe.

Forgot to check back..... any other cars you can think of?

lalojamesliz
08-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Nice thing about metal is you can always add more.

Very true :)

underscore
08-16-2017, 05:00 PM
I don't know any others, I can't remember how I came across the info on the Matrix so I can't confirm the accuracy. I'd just go to a junkyard with a measuring tape and look at the front struts on any 10-30 year old Toyotas.

lalojamesliz
08-17-2017, 06:52 PM
I'll deffinetly have to do that. I need to head over to my local pick a part anyways. Thanks for the info guys