PDA

View Full Version : st185 temp?

90ToyAllTrac
07-30-2017, 07:49 PM
I put an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge on a long time ago. So now to trouble shoot my cold start issue wanna put a stock electric sensor back on but I can't find the wire plug for the sensor. What part of the harness should those wires for the plug come out? Please picture would be easiest if possible.

Thanks,

90ToyAllTrac
08-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Most likely solution. The temp gauge sensor and the temp sensor to ECU are separate sensors. The one with the green plug on the front of the housing next to the orange plug sensor is the one I need to replace. So there are not any wires missing. :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/a7/4d/a6a74dbf794bf02e63bd3185cfba3cd3.jpg

underscore
08-10-2017, 05:18 AM
From memory there are two sensors on the "coolant tree". I know one is for the cold start injector circuit, the other I'm not sure (assuming ECU and gauge).

93celicaconv
08-11-2017, 02:44 AM
There are 4 coolant temp sensors on an ST185. One is a switch, located at the bottom of the radiator, for radiator fan operation. Another is an analog temp sensor device for the ECU. Another is an analog temp sensor for the instrument cluster. And the 4th is for the cold start injector, which is actually a switch with a heating element and a timer. If we are talking about the analog sensor for the gauge, that is on the water outlet pipe (driver side of cylinder head), which has a single wire (Y-G, or yellow casing with green stripe) where the sensor grounds itself into the water outlet pipe and to body ground. It should be from the same part of the harness as all the sensors mounted on the water outlet pipe originate from.

What is the problem you are having with your cold start system on your ST185? I'm not sure how getting the instrument cluster temperature gauge working with the original analog temperature sensor will provide value in your diagnosis. Your mechanical gauge (depending on where your sensor is located for that) should provide you with the same information your instrument cluster temperature gauge used to.

90ToyAllTrac
08-21-2017, 07:08 PM
There are 4 coolant temp sensors on an ST185. One is a switch, located at the bottom of the radiator, for radiator fan operation. Another is an analog temp sensor device for the ECU. Another is an analog temp sensor for the instrument cluster. And the 4th is for the cold start injector, which is actually a switch with a heating element and a timer. If we are talking about the analog sensor for the gauge, that is on the water outlet pipe (driver side of cylinder head), which has a single wire (Y-G, or yellow casing with green stripe) where the sensor grounds itself into the water outlet pipe and to body ground. It should be from the same part of the harness as all the sensors mounted on the water outlet pipe originate from.

What is the problem you are having with your cold start system on your ST185? I'm not sure how getting the instrument cluster temperature gauge working with the original analog temperature sensor will provide value in your diagnosis. Your mechanical gauge (depending on where your sensor is located for that) should provide you with the same information your instrument cluster temperature gauge used to.

I am guessing the coolant tree is the housing below the intercooler on the driver side with 3 sensors in it? I replaced the one with the green plug. Which one is that? the one next to it is orange. Which is that? I posted a new thread with full description here please reply to that thread. Thanks
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?59826-Fuel-problem-st185