PDA

View Full Version : Rear diff input seal replacement

lalojamesliz
07-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, a guy on another forum gave me the part number 90311-38032 for the input seal on my 91's rear diff but I haven't changed one.
Do I need any special tools?
I saw a video on YouTube were a guy measured how many millimeters the nut that holds the driveshaft connection wheel was in and he also marked a spot so he knew the exact spot to set the preload.
Could I do the same or is it different for our diff?

Funkycheeze
07-31-2017, 07:43 PM
You need to replace and retorque the pinion crush sleeve. If you are very lucky, the outer pinion bearing will come out easily, otherwise you need to take the diff mostly apart to pop the pinion out from the other side to get this bearing off and replace the sleeve.

You will need a dial torque wrench to re-measure the preload when you are tightening the new sleeve. It is a big job. I have heard some people just replacing the seal and torqueing down the flange to get the same preload it had when disassembled, but I don't recommend this.

lalojamesliz
08-01-2017, 01:36 AM
Wow, I didn't think i would have to disassemble the diff just to replace the seal.....
I thought I just pry it out from the front and set the preload and done.

Funkycheeze
08-01-2017, 08:46 PM
You can try it that way, but in my experience the preload won't stay and you will get a noisy diff and trashed pinion bearings.

lalojamesliz
08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
You can try it that way, but in my experience the preload won't stay and you will get a noisy diff and trashed pinion bearings.

What way? The way I mentioned from the YouTube video?

This is something I'd pay someone to do but finding a person that knows how to correctly do this close to me would be the hard part. I'm not shipping a large heavy diff :)

Funkycheeze
08-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Reusing the crush sleeve. You cannot guarantee that the preload will set properly if it is reused.