PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacer help!

kazmania101
06-16-2017, 05:26 PM
So I need to find 35mm spacers for the rear of me 94 celica gt and I can't find anything. Someone help?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murgatroy
06-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Yeah, buy wheels that fit without spacers.

Spacers are sometimes a necessary evil, but they kill wheel bearings. The widest they come is 25mm.

You want 7" wide wheels with a 40mm offset or 8" wide wheels with a 35mm offset to look right.

kazmania101
06-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Yeah, buy wheels that fit without spacers.

Spacers are sometimes a necessary evil, but they kill wheel bearings. The widest they come is 25mm.

You want 7" wide wheels with a 40mm offset or 8" wide wheels with a 35mm offset to look right.

I'm thinking about 17 by 8 then get 35mm offset. Idk if that will rub when I turn tho..

METDeath
06-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Based on this, (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?57478-Wheel-tire-combo-fitment-(all-generations-body-styles)&p=30223366&viewfull=1#post30223366) you should be fine.

underscore
06-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Spacers are sometimes a necessary evil, but they kill wheel bearings.

How? I've yet to see anyone explain how a wheel spacer is any harder on the bearing than the equivalent offset wheel.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-24-2017, 12:53 AM
I have to say I've had 25mm spacers on the back of the All Trac since I got it in 06 and they were on the car when I got it. I've put over 70K miles on it and have not had to do anything to the rear wheel bearings.

May not be the norm, but that's how mine have worked.

Murgatroy
06-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Then the possibility exists that I am just spouting old wive's tales.

kazmania101
06-24-2017, 04:36 PM
It's all good guys I just went out and got 17x8 just need to get tires for it now

sefiro
06-25-2017, 03:21 AM
Basic physics using a lever. Spacer moves the wheel out from the lever point - the bearing. Longer lever creates more force at the other end with a given amount of weight and acceleration. Since the bearing is wide the base rocks, the lever point can move. When on the outside of the bearing, the excess force exerted on the inside of the bearing can damage the bearing.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

KoreanJoey
06-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Basic physics using a lever. Spacer moves the wheel out from the lever point - the bearing. Longer lever creates more force at the other end with a given amount of weight and acceleration. Since the bearing is wide the base rocks, the lever point can move. When on the outside of the bearing, the excess force exerted on the inside of the bearing can damage the bearing.

Wrong as the correct offset creates the SAME LEVER.

Spacers are fine. Make sure you regularly inspect the lug studs and check the bearings like you normally do. The statement is true enough that high offsets do create longer levers, generating more radial loads on the bearings. That said, that is, literally, what the wheel bearing is designed for.

sefiro
06-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Agreed, on the correct offset. I was responding to the rumor of bearing failure. Many buy the cheap solution - adding spaces without changing the wheel/tire. They get a cheap aggressive look and a busted wheel bearing.

KoreanJoey
06-27-2017, 07:53 AM
The celica wheel bearings are alright. The rear do wear out if you're hard on it. I was racing on 255 slicks for a number of years and did replace a lot of wheel bearings but that's the same on pretty much any car.

underscore
06-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Many buy the cheap solution - adding spaces without changing the wheel/tire. They get a cheap aggressive look and a busted wheel bearing.

A "cheap" spacer isn't different from buying the "correct" offset wheel though. It's nice to have the same wheels/tires front and rear so rotations are easier, not to mention finding wheels with the correct offsets for the front and rear of something like a 5th gen widebody is extremely difficult.