PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a truck, like a real one.

19winstonsmith84
01-09-2017, 01:35 AM
So I bought this 1975 Chevy custom deluxe rust bucket with a 100k mile ls9 in it that seems to be in damn good shape. I was planning on using it to fix my celicas up, but now I'm dreaming of double pumper holleys and street rod cams. Anyone here built a sleeper GM truck before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

METDeath
01-09-2017, 02:24 AM
Stuff it in the first gen!

Murgatroy
01-09-2017, 02:31 AM
Yes.

Yes I have.

I had a `77 C10 with a destroked 400ci smallblock using long rods for about 377ci, headers, big cam, Weiand intake, Holley 650. It was lowered with some drop spindles in the front. 7" rallies all the way around. 3.31 rear. It would wind and wind and just run down the road. I took many cars with that truck, including a Vette that thought I was just some dumb redneck with a loud truck. Then I got stupid and in a fit of anger destroyed it in the woods. It was wedged between two trees when I crawled out of the woods and over the mountain. I was a week out of the hospital with a broken hip.

It was a hoss.

I also had a `72 F250 with a 302ci and three speed on the column. It had a little RV cam and a set of headers as well. It was geared something stupid, like 4.56, it was an old shingle truck I bought from my boss when we did roofs. Man, up to 45mph and there wasn't anything in town that would hang. I got hung in first when the linkage twisted and burned the clutch up, it detonated and took out the tranny and bent the rods.

I would really like to find an old `67-`72 F100 to build up again. Small block, manual transmission. Simple and stout.

4thgenceli
01-09-2017, 01:46 PM
My brother had this ol' F150 (Becca was her name). Don't know what was in there but it started with 1/4 second turn of the key, had a lub like no other thanks to that crazy ass cam he had in there and the 3 speed automatic would smoke the tires in all gears without a problem.

Then he sold it to pay for weed and move to Texas.

19winstonsmith84
01-10-2017, 12:30 AM
Stuff it in the first gen!

That's what she said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrWOT
01-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Depends on your budget. If you want a real sleeper, smallish cam, small-ish turbo. Will respond VERY well to a smallish cam due to minimal overlap. Won't even sound lumpy. But 500ft/lbs is a walk in the park and will take 91 octane no problem.

If you keep it carb it can scream with a nice cam, but "sleeper"? lol, no.