PDA

View Full Version : Moving 93 5sfe to 91 (GT)

sefiro
12-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Well, blew up the engine in my 91 GT hatchback 5sfe. See story http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59703

Have 93 gt coupe laying around that belonged to one of boys. The 93 needed fuel tank, rack, tires, cracked trunk hinge, paint job, and research on a oil leak. He parked it and moved on (I was the one working on it for years to help him out)

I was going to pull the block and use it my 91. But thought about a number of questions that might suggest pulling and reusing the while engine. I know if I pull the head on the 91 and find it was seriously damaged (interference valves ) that my choice would made for me.

Nonetheless, questions

1) I assume the block is interchangeable?

2) having worked in both cars, I know Toyota made some changes to ignition/fuel control somewhere between the years. Net result include moving the coil into the distributor, fuel injector changes (see below), spark plug wires, AC idle up changes, etc. Are there other changes? Impact is that wiring harness changed and I would have swap this and the ecu as well.

3) based on old research, I believe the fuel injectors changed. In the 91, they all opened (or opened in pairs) each cycle. In the 93, they fired individually (or pairs). This would require larger injectors and the appropriate as I for control

4) I like the idle air control screw on the TB that was sealed up in the 93 - better ecu control. Could I keep my 91 TB?

5) the spark plug wires changed (round to square) do we know why? I only mention it as I might use the old valve cover for memories only ;)

6) I'm sitting on 3 tranny's. My original but really screwed up 2nd synchros, my current with a minor 3rd synchro problem, and my son's tranny which was smooth shifting throughout. I know Toyota made some serious synchro changes at some point, do we know when this went into effect and what I should look fit to determine what this third tranny might be?

Did anything change in the head? valve sizes, cam shaft differences

8) is there a list somewhere of interchangeable parts that would save me the hastle of googling each one? I had changed out pumps, idlers, etc on the 91 and would like to move them to the 93 engine assuming the engine swap route is the way I end up going.

Anything else I might be missing?

Thanx

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

donteatbugs
12-30-2016, 08:04 PM
I just had to do something similar. Use all the sensors and manifolds from the 91. Everything from the 91 will bolt to the 93 block and head. The 93 used a knock sensor and the 91 doesnt. I would keep all the 91 electronics to keep from repinning and swapping harneses ect.

sefiro
12-31-2016, 12:10 AM
Crank sensor on a 93? Where is it located?

donteatbugs
12-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Both the crank and cam sensor triggers are in the distributor on the 5sfe. The knock sensor is in the block under the intake manifold.

sefiro
12-31-2016, 06:16 PM
Oops, meant knock sensor. Hhmm, all the years I've been in and around the 5th Gens, never noticed it - will have to check for grins.

sefiro
12-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Actually, not for grins, if it's in the block below the intake, then I'll have to delete it to keep the old harness, or do a harness/edu transfer as well.

fussellbug
01-01-2017, 02:43 PM
I transferred a later model 5S-FE from a Camry into my 1990 GTS and found the easiest thing to do was set the two motors side by side on the floor and transfer needed sensors, distributor, etc from old to new. I ended up using the valve cover from the 1990 because of the PCV on the Camry motor. When I was done, the original harness and ECU connected and ran flawlessly.

underscore
01-02-2017, 01:54 AM
Actually, not for grins, if it's in the block below the intake, then I'll have to delete it to keep the old harness, or do a harness/edu transfer as well.

You shouldn't really have to do anything, jut leave the sensor there without anything pkugged into it, which should be easy since the 91 harness won't have anything to plug into it.

celica91gts
01-02-2017, 09:53 PM
You shouldn't really have to do anything, jut leave the sensor there without anything pkugged into it, which should be easy since the 91 harness won't have anything to plug into it.

+1. I have gone through 3 5sfes before and this is what i did. very straight forward swap.

I also agree with OP in that you should just swap the engines instead of taking the head off. if you take the head off you will need to redeck the head and buy new head gasket and head studs.

sefiro
01-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Thanks all, yes, I've rebuilt many a motor and am familiar with the redeck requirement. However, the car I'm pulling from was run hot (advanced timing) and with an oil consumption problem. The head from the old motor was completely rebuilt done 18 months ago so would rather use it than the 'hot' head.

celica91gts
01-03-2017, 01:05 PM
oh well in that case the fresh head would be the better option.