PDA

View Full Version : The All Trac is back on the road

Nitro_Alltrac
12-29-2016, 08:24 PM
After about 8 months or so on jack stands while doing rust repair, the All Trac is back on the road.

I went this morning and got now tags (didn't renew in July since it wasn't going anywhere at that time) and got new tires for the rear. After pulling the rear tires off months ago, I could see why I had problems in the snow last winter. Both were into the wear bars and one had worn through on the inside to the cords and appeared to have a broken belt.

Anyway, got the new tag on and bolted the wheels back on. It fired right up. The left front tire was pretty low so a trip to the gas station was the first thing on the agenda. Also stopped at the car wash and gave him a quick bath. He was looking pretty bad after sitting that long.

The only issues I've found so far is that the brakes need to be bled. The pedal is pretty soft. Probably to be expected after sitting that long. The other issue is a stutter in the engine under load or boost. Not real bad. Just enough to be irritating. At cruise, everything is fine.

I'll probably have to take it somewhere to get the brakes bled. The weather does not look favorable for the next bit.

I still need to do the engine swap. I still have the oil pressure issue and the leaking head gasket but I figure that I'll run it for now. I won't have the weather to work on the swap for a few months and I don't want to continue to let it sit.

So that was what I did today. :cool:

Murgatroy
12-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Chaos is still mothballed.

Discord is mothballed.

Harmony is about to be mothballed.

I am glad your car is back operational. Now swap a 4th Gen into it.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-29-2016, 11:26 PM
That is coming in a few months.

Why is Harmony about to be mothballed?

pintoBC_3sgte
12-29-2016, 11:54 PM
nice work getting it back on the road!
P.S. - you're going to love the gen.4 swap!! :D

Murgatroy
12-30-2016, 12:19 AM
That is coming in a few months.

Why is Harmony about to be mothballed?

Her tires have 80k on them and I am too cheap to buy a new set.

pintoBC_3sgte
12-30-2016, 12:36 AM
lol and tires are dirt cheap in the states!

4thgenceli
12-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Leia was pushed out of the garage to the driveway so I can get the garage finished.

Gemma needs to get a new rear tire soon.

I need to sell this Mazda so we can buy the 4runner.

I need to crash JDM Motorsports to see if they have any more gen4 in stock....

Sent from Naboo

bloodMoney
01-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Awesome news Mike! Glad you're cruising around in the car again :)

Nitro_Alltrac
01-05-2017, 01:01 AM
Thanks Chris.

I'm going to call a shop down the street tomorrow and see if they can clean and lube the caliper guide pins. After the input and thinking about it I really think, given the time it sat, that this is probably the issue.

Shadowlife25
01-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Thanks Chris.

I'm going to call a shop down the street tomorrow and see if they can clean and lube the caliper guide pins. After the input and thinking about it I really think, given the time it sat, that this is probably the issue.

;)

Nitro_Alltrac
01-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Had a chance to clean the guide pins on the rear. Both of those rotors were only showing minimal sweep from the pads. The pins were sticking, especially the one on the right rear. Like never go the caliper off.

I cleaned those up and lubed them really good and got them moving smoothly. I also rebled the rear brakes.

While better, it's still not right. The pedal starts out firmer and initially goes to where it normal would start to take up good, hesitates for a second and then goes down further. It doesn't go to the floor or anything but it goes down a lot further that it should. The car will stop but nothing like it should. It's always had excellent brakes.

Both front rotors and the left rear show a good pad sweep pattern so those calipers appear to be working OK now. The right rear is only show sweep about an inch wide the middle of the rotor. I'm thinking that in addition to what ever else is going on that the right rear caliper is going to need to be replaced.

I'm leaning toward the master cylinder going bad as the main issue. Everything I've done has helped but it's not where it needs to be yet.

Opinions and suggestions?

MCcelica
01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Well, it's never going to hurt to get another master cylinder in there, aside from having to re-bleed again. In actuality, though it really almost just sounds like you've still got air moving through the system.

gt4tified
01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Glad yours is back on the road. Mine is still in a sad state. I keep playing the lottery and am hopeful....one day, one sweet day!