PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen or 4th Gen 3SGTE?

Nitro_Alltrac
11-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Ok, it's starting look like I might finally be able to get my money together to get a new engine.

I've been planning on doing a 4th gen swap all along but the prices have gone up a good bit from when I first started looking. Pretty much all are running $1000 to $1200 or more. Add to that $500 to have Wiregap do the harness and then the maintenance parts and I'm into serious money.

I've got my converted over to 3rd gen electronics already. I've been seeing 205 engines with the tranny for $1200-$1400. This would be pretty much a bolt in since I've got the wiring covered. Would still have the maintenance parts but that's happening with either engine.

So, give me some opinions.

pintoBC_3sgte
11-30-2016, 01:33 AM
Sounds like you're set up already for 3rd gen, but I may be biased when I say go 4th gen. anyway!
With your wiring done it will be a cheaper swap for 3rd gen.
All I can say is I'm more then happy with my gen.4 swap :)

celica91gts
11-30-2016, 01:11 PM
i just barely got mine running. still got dry rotted tires with flat spots so only turn the car on to move it. so haven't driven it hard yet. honestly it came out to be a lot more expensive then i thought. Issues always come up and expenses must be paid with any project though. If you want big power i'd go with 3rd gen. 4th gen is a one piece turbo/header and if you want to upgrade you have three options.

ATS for their sweet 16 turbo
primeMR2 for their 4th gen upgrade. both dynos can be found on their websites. But honestly they are making good power only on e85.
or three get a custom exhaust manifold welded up with a t\3 t\4 adapter or w/e turbo you are running on the other side.

if you are like me and a lot of other 4th gen swap guys and happy with super fast spool and adequate power due to higher compression than the 3rd gen then go 4th. if you are boost happy then go 3rd.

4thgenceli
11-30-2016, 03:09 PM
My vote is also for the Gen4. Having tasted (some of) the power of it I'm still going to swap that one when that list item is on the block.

Funkycheeze
11-30-2016, 08:23 PM
If you get a gen3 engine, you can sell the gearbox from it for some $$ as well.

donteatbugs
12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
If you do a 3rd gen you want to use the ST205 box as well, It has the updated syncro rings

ChrisD
12-01-2016, 01:43 PM
You will probably have to swap over a few plugs yet if you did go gen 3. Various sensors wouldn't cross over, unless you also swapped in the gen 2 sensors...but I'd rather do the plugs. If you can find the gen 3 engine and trans at that price, it's a great deal. The prices on them are going up quite a bit as of late. With that said, both are great options. Given where you are specifically, I'd probably go for the gen 3. It would be the simpler swap. I can say from experience they both run and drive very well. Even though the 3 runs a distributor. If that's not a big deal to you, then that's what I'd do.

For me it comes down to 205 trans > COP. There are other things, but that's the big one.

Now, around here the gen 4's are much cheaper than gen 3's. So that makes it a different discussion.

4thgenceli
12-01-2016, 01:44 PM
If you get a gen3 engine, you can sell the gearbox from it for some $$ as well.
Like me.....

Sent from Naboo

Nitro_Alltrac
12-01-2016, 04:47 PM
You will probably have to swap over a few plugs yet if you did go gen 3. Various sensors wouldn't cross over, unless you also swapped in the gen 2 sensors...but I'd rather do the plugs. If you can find the gen 3 engine and trans at that price, it's a great deal. The prices on them are going up quite a bit as of late. With that said, both are great options. Given where you are specifically, I'd probably go for the gen 3. It would be the simpler swap. I can say from experience they both run and drive very well. Even though the 3 runs a distributor. If that's not a big deal to you, then that's what I'd do.

For me it comes down to 205 trans > COP. There are other things, but that's the big one.

Now, around here the gen 4's are much cheaper than gen 3's. So that makes it a different discussion.

Chris, do you have any importer names there? Everything I've been able to find through my searches in Canada is showing pricing like I'm seeing here for the most part. I think there is a very good chance that things are actually different on the ground. I would like to have the 205 trans. There's nothing wrong with mine but I know the 205 is a better unit.

You are right about the 205 cost . I've just starting seeing a few recently that are in the range I mentioned. They had been running $1600 to well over $2000. The Gen 4's this time last year I could get all day for right about $800 give or take. The prices have continued to go up all year. They've slowed a little but they are still up there.

celica91gts
12-01-2016, 06:34 PM
"For me it comes down to 205 trans > COP. There are other things, but that's the big one. "

What does COP stand for?

4thgenceli
12-01-2016, 07:13 PM
"For me it comes down to 205 trans > COP. There are other things, but that's the big one. "

What does COP stand for?

Coil over Plug.

The gen4 system has a dedicated coil for each plug.

Zaluss
12-01-2016, 08:31 PM
I agree with Chris. ST205 trans is more important if you don't have that yet unless you want to buy both, which is pricey.

I went with the gen3 swap because of the included trans.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-02-2016, 01:02 AM
I'm kind of leaning that way if the prices stay decent. Purchase prices right now are similar but the 205 includes the trans. I'm already more or less wired for that.

I've still got a bit so I'll just have to see how the pricing goes.

Thanks everyone for your input. It helps. I love the idea of the Gen 4. It's still a possibility.