PDA

View Full Version : K20 swap 5gen celica

T-rav
11-23-2016, 03:11 PM
I know this isn't talked about much. It's blasphemy and all that fun stuff. But I was just wondering can the k20 be swapped into the celica using the swap mount's from an mr2. Any info, input, and help would be greatly appreciated.

4thgenceli
11-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Some quick looking on the MR2 boards I see that the common thing is a k20 into a SW20 chassis with a S-series motor. There looks to be a company that makes a mount kit and transmission mount plate adapter to go from the k20 -> e153 transmission. Not knowing a whole lot about the k20 in MR2 swap --- I would say that most of it would work OK.

The only issue I'm aware of is the mounts in the MR2 won't work in the Celica (been there...tried that). You'll still have to do something about the mounting.

T-rav
11-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Okay cool thank you. By any chance do you know what makes the mounting points different other than a different chassis

underscore
11-24-2016, 02:14 AM
At risk of sounding stupid, what else could make them different?

fussellbug
11-24-2016, 06:07 PM
If you can adapt the K20 to the E153 transmission, then you can use the Celica All-Trac front, rear, and driver side mounts. You would have to fabricate a passenger side mount to complete the setup because the Celica mount won't directly attach to the K20 and the MR2 adapter mount won't line up in the Celica. When using the E153 in the Celica you will need to either source one from a FWD car (V6 powered Camry/Solary) or adapt the shifter of an MR2 Turbo transmission due to it being on the opposite side of the transmission. You would also need to piece together axles using inner axles from the car your transmission came from and outer axles from the Celica All-Trac. The exhaust would obviously be custom made and wiring would be one of a kind.

Sounds like a big headache to get performance that can be easily achieved with a Toyota engine made for the car or a Honda chassis that's made for the K20.

MCcelica
12-03-2016, 10:57 PM
I'm with Fussellbug on this one. As with anything, enough money and everything is possible. Hell, I've seen an LS1 swapped into a freaking Miata.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's worth it.

underscore
12-05-2016, 05:20 PM
I saw pictures of an LS swapped RSX the other day. With a turbo. Yes it was still FWD.