PDA

View Full Version : Celica to Supra conversion.

paovang
09-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Hi so I'm new to the game. And I'm about to get a 99 celica and I want to do a Supra conversion. Can u guys help me out on doing this? Can u tell me everything I need to know to do this. Or steer me into the right direction. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4thgenceli
09-28-2016, 04:06 PM
How much are you planning on spending to do this?

Murgatroy
09-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Sure. Sell the Celica, buy a Supra.

That is everything you need to know about doing a Supra Conversion. You convert the Celica into money, which you then convert into a Supra.

All Supras are straight six longitudinal mounted engine driving the rear wheels. The Sixth Gen Celica is a four cylinder transverse mounted engine driving the front wheels. Other than the Toyota Badge and some other small inconsequential items like the turn signal stock, there is NOTHING similar between ANY Supra and a 6th Gen Celica.

Unless you plan on making a tube chassis based car, which is doable if your pockets are deep enough, you will never create a Celica/Supra conversion out of a FWD Celica.

Now, if you think I am being mean, I am not sorry. For nearly twenty years I have been hearing the same question from people that have no idea about cars thinking that this is completely doable and that I am close minded and arrogant for being realistic and saying no.

But no. It can't be done short of a five figure budget.

ChrisD
09-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Now, if you think I am being mean, I am not sorry. For nearly twenty years I have been hearing the same question from people that have no idea about cars thinking that this is completely doable and that I am close minded and arrogant for being realistic and saying no.

Well, usually they just ask about a 4WD conversion... ha.

But he has a point, either build a fantastic Celica or build a fantastic Supra. Not really sure what you'd want to convert - there are lots of engine swap options for your car, just not an inline 6 (V6 is popular, as are many 4 cyl N/A and turbo options). Drivetrain conversions are very expensive, and require a lot of custom fabrication.

But you certainly can build your 99 Celica into a great car, if you are so inclined. What are your real objectives anyway? To make a fast car? In what way? A show car? A race car? A fun weekend car? How much time/money do you have and want to spend? What is your skill level, what past projects have you done?

4thgenceli
09-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Guess both of you picked up on where I was going.... lol

I've seen people 'convert' their celica into a supra cosmetically but it looks like crap in my perspective. Drop the cash and do a nice 3sgte swap into the 6th gen with all the goodies you want or sell the celica and buy a supra which'll set you back at least 35k for the twin turbo manual version.

underscore
09-28-2016, 06:30 PM
I'm curious what OP means by a Supra conversion. Cosmetic, or mechanical?

Murgatroy
09-28-2016, 06:45 PM
I've seen people 'convert' their celica into a supra cosmetically but it looks like crap in my perspective.

Bullshit, this car was beautiful.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/4053440040_large.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Bullshit, this car was beautiful.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/4053440040_large.jpg

"Was"

With a rear half-cut from Japan, you can get the parts needed to make a 6th Gen 4WD. Tunnel is the same size for all 6th Gens, there are mounts missing from what I recall that will need to be fabricated. You could then do a transverse (current orientation) of a 3SGTE and delete the FWD transfer. Not sure what you will use to replace CV axles or hubs without the transmission driving the wheels.

Completely "doable" that will likely take 4 months of headaches and around $25,000.

njccmd2002
10-19-2016, 02:42 PM
lol

cms-gt4
10-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Here: https://www.facebook.com/ylcarconversion/posts/904585133006614