PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system help thread

90ToyAllTrac
09-19-2016, 01:14 PM
91 3SGTE JDM
I believe I have a fuel pressure issue. Don't think it's the pump cause I drive it a lot. Sometimes have to crank for awhile before starting. After starting have to wait like 30 sec for it to drive normal.

My Chiltons says the pressure regulator is under the throttle body but it's not. And I don't see the in line cylindrical part in the Chiltons at all. Is that the pressure regulator or the fuel valve (can't remember what they're called) by the firewall. Thanks,

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/2/7/2/fuelundertb.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/2/7/2/fuelthing.jpg

4thgenceli
09-19-2016, 02:55 PM
The fuel pressure regulator is about halfway down the fuel rail on the backside.

https://gx8kdq-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y3paeeQp2w1glRvxojiXoOHsV_w8CaTuPjIT12v9kfku3jCXg5 7IGrYHNTpjOGz6TFPYlMKw8RRHBpg1WvO6O9_sxv9p4N41C4cw ZbpcMrQNr-a-FrZ4BO_se_N9OO_CPFtwEajBVx1LYGzjV3pwMPdOQ/Regulator.PNG?psid=1

90ToyAllTrac
09-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Sounds like the other thing is just the fuel filter. Thanks

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Yes, the one on the firewall is the filter.

ChrisD
09-19-2016, 09:28 PM
If you suspect fuel pressure best bet is to actually check what pressure it is running with the vac line disconnected, with a fuel pressure gauge. The cold start injector and timer switch are also worthy of checking out.

90ToyAllTrac
10-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Update. New filter and pump didn't fix it. Searching on cold start injector and timer switch. Found more saying it is most likely to be the switch. I have searched several OEM Toyota sites. Most have the injector but none have the switch. I'll try replacing the injector and switch if I can find it.

Any info on where I can find a switch would be appreciated. Napa search found nothing also.

underscore
10-19-2016, 11:35 PM
The cold start injector "switch" is in the coolant tree, the official P/N should be 89462-20020 and it's called "SWITCH, START INJECTOR TIME". It does cross over to a few USDM vehicles as well so if you can't find anything looking under a Celica I can post up the list. I imagine you could test yours with a multimeter before buying a new one though.

90ToyAllTrac
10-20-2016, 03:50 PM
The cold start injector "switch" is in the coolant tree, the official P/N should be 89462-20020 and it's called "SWITCH, START INJECTOR TIME". It does cross over to a few USDM vehicles as well so if you can't find anything looking under a Celica I can post up the list. I imagine you could test yours with a multimeter before buying a new one though.

Awesome! Found it. Thanks!

ChrisD
10-20-2016, 08:14 PM
I agree with underscore - test it first before buying a new switch!

90ToyAllTrac
10-21-2016, 03:43 PM
I agree with underscore - test it first before buying a new switch!

Since it's getting cold up here and tired of working on it, at least this plain jane stuff, I'm having a shop I trust do it. I asked them to test it first.

ChrisD
10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Gotcha. Let us know what they find

90ToyAllTrac
10-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Ok so the sensor/switch tested bad and they replaced just that this morning. So I'm probably done with this issue. For a Toyota with low miles engine and trans Project Ako has plenty of quirks yet to shake out. But at least shes dependable and sexy. I almost got my hands on a rusted out All Trac last weekend that woulda got me factory seats/brackets/rails. It went for $3500.

ChrisD
10-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Good to hear. Oof that's a bit high for a rusty shell! But spare parts are always welcome with these cars.

90ToyAllTrac
10-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Spoke to soon. Started it to drive home. Gave it some gas in neutral started to die every time I gave it gas. Until after about a minute. So not fixed. I guess I'll just live with it instead of spending another $1000 on the pressure regulator and the cold injector. I'm not above doing another swap if I ever find a Parts car to rebuild. This car is the shittiest thrill ride cheating girlfriend of a car I've owned. At least my Mustangs are loyal and simple.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-25-2016, 11:50 PM
I've got a cold start injector in my stash in the basement. I pulled it when I did the 3rd gen electronics conversion. I can see if I can find it. I'm not going to be using it.

I don't remember for sure. The regulator you're talking about is the one on the fuel rail right? I don't remember a separate regulator for the CSI. I could be wrong though.

90ToyAllTrac
10-26-2016, 01:54 PM
I've got a cold start injector in my stash in the basement. I pulled it when I did the 3rd gen electronics conversion. I can see if I can find it. I'm not going to be using it.

I don't remember for sure. The regulator you're talking about is the one on the fuel rail right? I don't remember a separate regulator for the CSI. I could be wrong though.

Yes the regulator is supposed to be on the fuel rail driver side. I don't think I've laid eyes on mine yet I think it's pretty well obstructed. PM sent.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-26-2016, 10:56 PM
PM sent.

90ToyAllTrac
11-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Getting ready to replace the fuel pressure regulator and the cold start injector. Since the injectors are not available from Toyota anymore. Just wondering if there is a way to test these injectors with a tester? I know we can test the resistance but is that or not a guarantee that it actually works? I have a used one from Nitro_Alltrac. But would like to test the one on the car because it is low miles I'd rather keep it if I can test that its ok. I will check my Chiltons when I get home. All I can find online is to use a screwdriver like a stethoscope to listen for clicking from the injector while running but probably not possible where it is underneath the throttle body. An old timer at the local dealer parts dept. said he remembers selling tons of these injectors back in the day to replace bad ones.

Thanks,

Nitro_Alltrac
11-09-2016, 01:21 AM
Go to the BGB link on the front page of the site and click the link for the 5 gen books. Click on the 93 manual and then on the Fuel System link. There is a link in this section for the Cold Start Injector. It has a test procedure, but with a multimeter and by taking the injector out and putting it in a container to test for flow.

I've never done it but it should work for you.

90ToyAllTrac
11-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Go to the BGB link on the front page of the site and click the link for the 5 gen books. Click on the 93 manual and then on the Fuel System link. There is a link in this section for the Cold Start Injector. It has a test procedure, but with a multimeter and by taking the injector out and putting it in a container to test for flow.

I've never done it but it should work for you.

Thanks. Took awhile but found it under MFI System, Fuel System.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Glad you found it. Sorry I couldn't link it.

90ToyAllTrac
11-13-2016, 02:20 AM
The good news is the BGB method for testing injectors works! The cold start injector worked so left it in. There seemed to be leakage residue from the fuel pressure regulator so replaced that. But, it didn't fix the dies when give it gas on a cold start problem. So I guess it will get fixed if I ever do another engine swap. Hurray!

Nitro_Alltrac
11-13-2016, 04:10 AM
Glad the procedure works.

Just out of curiosity, it's not dying because it getting too much fuel when cold is it? Just a thought.

90ToyAllTrac
11-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Glad the procedure works.

Just out of curiosity, it's not dying because it getting too much fuel when cold is it? Just a thought.

Don't know how I would determine that. But it will die usually on it's own even if I don't touch the pedal. The second start and then idling for a bit gets stronger and then is normal after about 30 seconds. And 2 fuel pump off/on seems to help so seems more like lack of fuel.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Do you have a strong fuel smell when it happens?

90ToyAllTrac
11-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Do you have a strong fuel smell when it happens?

Nope there is no smell at all. Even before replacing the pressure regulator which looked to have leaked at some point, maybe. But there shouldn't be now as the entire fuel system has been replaced except for the chassis fuel line and the fuel injectors.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-15-2016, 05:45 PM
My thought was maybe it's dumping too much fuel. These things run pig rich anyway.

90ToyAllTrac
11-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Anything is possible I guess. Combined with un metered air getting sucked in the cracked air hose who knows. :)

underscore
11-16-2016, 06:05 AM
If you're getting unmetered air it should run better with the CSI running and then die after it shuts off. If you're over fueling it'll run worse with the CSI running and get better when it shuts off. Try unplugging the CSI and see what happens.

alltracman78
11-16-2016, 08:00 PM
The CSI ONLY works when the starter is powered.
That's it, no other time. It doesn't run while the engine is on.

You really need to start by fixing ALL air leaks, then move on to other things if you still have a problem. Otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.

underscore
11-17-2016, 03:27 AM
Where's that info from? It's contrary to everything else I've read.

90ToyAllTrac
11-17-2016, 07:37 PM
I have not read but was assuming that the CSI was pumping either before or before and after engine start to help out until it got going/warm and that's what the CSI switch was for. There should only be 1 air leak that I didn't know about till after doing the pressure regulator. Every time I replaced something I thought, this is it. This has to fix it. Then I got more and more like, ok now gotta replace the next thing but that probably won't fix it. When I find an un cracked hose to install I highly doubt it will fix the cold start problem but ....

90ToyAllTrac
06-12-2017, 01:10 PM
After sitting for a week had another hard start today. Like it wasn't getting enough gas to start while cranking. Cranked a long time and was just barely firing while cranking. Then after got it started running without cranking had to just barely run for about 60 seconds and then it was fine. Would it make sense if the CSI is bad but then after its running it still takes awhile for the regular injectors to get the engine going normally?

sefiro
06-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Might also check water temp sensor and iac valve. During cold start, computer uses the signal from the sensor in its open loop mode to open iac valve and lengthen injector pulse width to add more fuel and air. Once warm, closed loop mode is entered. Iac is closed, and pulse width is changed based on the o2 sensor.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

90ToyAllTrac
06-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Might also check water temp sensor and iac valve. During cold start, computer uses the signal from the sensor in its open loop mode to open iac valve and lengthen injector pulse width to add more fuel and air. Once warm, closed loop mode is entered. Iac is closed, and pulse width is changed based on the o2 sensor.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I tried something new tonight to get the years old CEL code with the busted E1 pin in my diag box. I am terrible reading the blinks. I'm gonna do a new post to get more eyes on it. But here's the code which defiantly has a a 22 in it which is water temp sensor but to me I also see a 1 in there which 12 cant be related and there is no 122 on 2 dif sites listing codes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LES5ybfb1c

underscore
06-13-2017, 02:32 AM
Looks like a 12 and a 22 to me.