PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent restart problem

sefiro
08-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Have a 91 5sfe, bought new, rebuilt motor in 05, 320k. Last few months, had 3 occasions where I drove somewhere, parked, inside for 15-20 min, came out and care would not start - behaved like a dead battery (lights dimming and radio shutting off). First 2 times, push start and got home. Last time, occurred at an O.Reilly's auto parts store. They tried their jump start box with no success. We push started it and I made it home without problems. Each time, the car would start fine the next day and for many days after. Recurrence about 6 weeks apart.

I wish it would happen near my diagnostic tools but until then - figured I would ask if anyone else had had the same problem.

Ideas?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

90ToyAllTrac
08-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Does the starter not respond when you turn the key? I just posted this yesterday and got a response below

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?59656-Not-often-won-t-crank-issue

http://www.st162.net/forum/showthread.php?97-4th-Gen-Starter-Problems

sefiro
08-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Correct - no cranking and from what I can tell, the solenoid does not engage. I'm going to carry a bypass wire around to check if the starter will engage the next time

Nitro_Alltrac
08-18-2016, 09:19 PM
You symptoms are exactly what my car did before I put the relay. Check the links 90ToyAlltrac posted. It's the link to the ST162.net site and the diagram to install a relay that fix this problem.

Over time, the small wire going the solenoid breaks down and when it gets hot it won't hand the current. The relay fixes this issue.

4thgenceli
08-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Next time it happens you can turn the ignition on, park/netural with parking brake and take a jumper wire from the B+ terminal to the small terminal on the starter (not where the battery connects). It'll crank over and fire up (well should at least). When you put the relay in for that i would also do the big 3 upgrade while you're in there.

Replace the B- to chassis ground with a new 1/0 (one ought) or 4 gauge wire.
Add a new engine block to chassis to ground wire with the same gauge as previous (use one of the transmission > block bolts for the mount point).
Replace the B+ wire going from the alternator output to the battery positive terminal with a 4 gauge wire.

sefiro
08-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. I had already gutted/redone many wires during the rebuild process. Guess I'll go back and double check em