PDA

View Full Version : Not often won't crank issue

90ToyAllTrac
08-17-2016, 04:52 PM
1990 All Trac with a 92 JDM swap several years ago. Once in a while it won't start when I turn the key. No click, no cranking, just the dash lights and beeping like normal. I used to think it was just cause the battery was old and had to charge it after the car sat a few days. Have had brand new battery for few months now. Usually it starts and runs great (for this car anyway). Then will go out to start it and go and won't start. Today I drove it to work and back home then it wouldn't start again after a couple hours.

Also may or not be related but almost every time it does start there is a hesitation between when I turn and hold the key to when the starter starts cranking.

I thought I read here recently about a "hot no start" issue but couldn't find it just now. But mine will also do it after sitting overnight. And not very often. But can be inconvenient one time I had to push it into a spot at a gas station and walk home. Next day started right up.

Thanks,

4thgenceli
08-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Sounds like that hot start issue. That's really a bad phrase to call it since (at least on all mine) it would happen regardless of temps.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-17-2016, 11:37 PM
That is exactly what it sounds like. I had the same problem with mine.

This is what I did. I thought I had posted this before but I can't find it.

http://www.st162.net/forum/showthread.php?97-4th-Gen-Starter-Problems

4thgenceli
08-18-2016, 12:06 AM
It's posted all over the place. I've posted it at least a dozen times myself heh.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

90ToyAllTrac
08-18-2016, 01:34 PM
That is exactly what it sounds like. I had the same problem with mine.

This is what I did. I thought I had posted this before but I can't find it.

http://www.st162.net/forum/showthread.php?97-4th-Gen-Starter-Problems

Thanks for posting the link. If you search for "hot start" you get every thread with the word start. On the internet searching for "Toyota hot start" or "hot no start" you get barely anything and nothing useful. Just because it may have been posted 100 times doesn't mean it's easy to find. THE best thing about these forums is at least if you keep asking, someone eventually will probably know what your asking. And yes that can be annoying for all involved but it is what it is. :) I am guessing the search feature can not be changed to reflect word format relevance.

Looking at that diagram I think I did see that in a recent thread but it was an unrelated subject so didn't read it carefully enough or at least the diagram was similar. If I can change this threads title to be more specific I will do that too. EDIT: nope can't change title.

90ToyAllTrac
08-22-2016, 01:46 AM
So it actually worked. Pretty (relatively easy) easy. Me I needed a little help to understand a bit of it. But here is a video to cover it. No photobucket BS. Youtube be forever. Thanks to the 162 thread poster Nitro_AllTrac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPck4XeRR8

Nitro_Alltrac
08-22-2016, 02:08 AM
No problem my good man. Glad to help and glad it got you going.

Love the paint scheme by the way.

4thgenceli
08-22-2016, 02:25 AM
I've made it a habit now of just putting this on. The last 3 celicas I did this to them.

90ToyAllTrac
08-22-2016, 02:28 PM
No problem my good man. Glad to help and glad it got you going.

Love the paint scheme by the way.

Yeah. I can't wait to show it off at Ojibwe Forest Rally this weekend.
If you really wanna see some all trac madness check out my JDM swap videos. Figured it out as went along.