PDA

View Full Version : 91 Toyota Celica ST

Johnoolo
08-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Hey guys im new here im thinking about buying this 91 toyota celica st in my area for 1250 nice body clean car im not a fan of the interior theres one thats in dallas that looks better a ways from me. that being said.

im looking at an engine swap i have done some research and the 3gste seems to be the premier swap but with a crazy amount of money and work needed and a front clip?(this is a bit much isnt it to swap a clip?) ive narrowed down to id want to do the 4agze swap out of an mr2 id remove the supercharger and go with probably a gt28sr turbo i figure it would be good for about 15 psi from what ive gathered stock internals. of course id have some new head work new headgasket and seals.

but i need a good write up on the swap good cost amount im seeing the motor for about 1500 low mileage im not interested in buying a front clip i dont have room for such a thing give me some help guys so i can get into the celica game a 300hp car would be great i dont want to buy this car without the extra knowledge i can make the swap happen but is this reasonable? thanks guys

Murgatroy
08-11-2016, 12:25 AM
You don't have to buy a clip to swap.

The 4AGZE is close to a bolt in for the ST as it came with a 4AFE, both being A series blocks. Magic06 did the swap several years back. As the 3SGTE is more powerful and plentiful you will find a plethora of information regarding that swap. A series swaps, such as the 4AGZE, Silvertop and Blacktop swaps are much less common and even scarcer on written information.

I recall the 4AGZE did have some clearance issues with the supercharger. I also recall something about the transmission that came with the engine not mating up to the existing axles. However if you were to use the existing transmission, that might not be an issue.

Johnoolo
08-11-2016, 02:28 PM
with that knowledge there that tells me id need to find custom axles not likely that the 4agze axles would bolt up. its a shame i cant find a decent honda Del sol to go after and run a b series turbo but these celicas are real neat and for 1100 dollars with a nice body its so very tempting. one that runs well too. i read about the 4afe trans not really holding up to the power increase i would assume just mating the 2 together with a 4agze clutch should work that way with the existing axles feel free to chime in guys. i want this to be worth my while and something to do guys!

JackWard
08-12-2016, 01:29 PM
if the 4agze is pretty much a bolt in affair how much would be involved in a regular 4age swap? To my understanding this would be pretty much a bolt in affair as well wouldn't it?

Murgatroy
08-12-2016, 01:36 PM
The 4AGE is also a pretty simple bolt in swap.

However Toyota engine swaps do require a lot of rewiring to make them work. So it is not a plug and play swap in the sense that Honda swaps are.

JackWard
08-12-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm about to do a little Thread hijacking, I came on here to get some information about a 4age swap because I heard this was the place to get it. I am a mechanic for a living so I have the knowledge and resources to do a swap and I'm definitely not afraid of wiring but I'm not looking for crazy power or anything. I'm looking for a straight forward solution for a replacement for a very very tired 4afe in my 1993 Celica ST while gaining some aftermarket support and a little power. With that said I was looking to swap in a refreshed 4age as opposed to just a refreshed 4afe.

Murgatroy
08-12-2016, 03:40 PM
What 4AGE are you looking at? There are half a dozen flavors. The most common (now) would be the Silvertop and Blacktop. They aren't as common in the US as they are all imported. Some of the older 4AGE engines are available domestically, but they will be older and tired. Similar to an old 4AFE. But there is some aftermarket support for them. Not a lot, but some. FWD 4AGEs just don't have the love that RWD 4AGEs have.

JackWard
08-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Murgatory you've been a ton of help already. The more I look into it its looking like a 4age swap would be more of a hassle than its worth for my goals. Honestly all l'm looking for is a replacement for my 240k mile 4afe thats in the car right now(also wouldn't mind having the option to spray it down with nitrous). I'm trying to research on how to build a rock solid 4afe and I'm also curious as to the feasibility of a 7afe. There just seems to be so much bad information and conflicting opinions and stories.

Shadowlife25
08-12-2016, 10:48 PM
I ran my 91ST many many years ago, for 7 years with a wet NO2 system. I did valves, rpm switch, timing controller, upgraded fuel pump, a window switch and an engine reseal. That was on the bone stock 4AFE. I was doing only .25 for "spirited driving" use. The largest I ran was .50 on track weekends with a max of 2 passes.
If you don't abuse it, it is fine. The ST is a great platform either way for something like this since it is so light and nimble. That and parts for it are dirt cheap. :)

Murgatroy
08-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Only losers drive STs. The 4AFE is made of fail.

Shadowlife25
08-13-2016, 07:03 AM

You slay me. Lawl. :P :D

METDeath
08-13-2016, 12:23 PM
You might want to look at a 7A-FE turbo build, or a 2ZZ-GE swap from a 7th gen GTS.

JackWard
08-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Lol. This ST in question has been in my family since it was new in 1993 so it has sentimental value to me. After a lot of searching around I'm pretty well convinced I'm going to buy a low-ish mileage salvaged 4AFE and drop it in one Saturday. This is all exploratory though as the thing does not crank up right now. Possibly due to the igniter I'm not sure because I haven't had a ton of time to dig into it. After I get it running and all cleaned up I'll make a thread with pictures and stuff.

Murgatroy
08-17-2016, 02:05 PM
I bought Chaos about 15 years ago. She still has a 4AFE. Her second. Eventually she needs a new engine. I am one of the last proponents of the 4AFE. Chaos is all suspension, and can and has run down higher HP cars in the twisties.

I am cheap and lazy, so her next engine will probably still be a 4AFE.

JackWard
08-18-2016, 01:57 PM
I bought Chaos about 15 years ago. She still has a 4AFE. Her second. Eventually she needs a new engine. I am one of the last proponents of the 4AFE. Chaos is all suspension, and can and has run down higher HP cars in the twisties.

I am cheap and lazy, so her next engine will probably still be a 4AFE.

I want to know more about your suspension work, sounds like a very fun car. I'm definitely just going to stick with the 4AFE in this car, for what I want to do it seems like it will do the job just fine.

Murgatroy
08-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Megan coilovers, 4 wheel disc swap with 5 lug conversion. Crash bolts in the rear. No front swaybar.

She sits way to low. But she looks good.

Shadowlife25
08-28-2016, 12:49 AM
Megan coilovers, 4 wheel disc swap with 5 lug conversion. Crash bolts in the rear. No front swaybar.

She sits way to low. But she looks good.

You forgot to add the part where she handles like a friggin' Go-Kart. :D
The only thing I would add to that list is to ensure you have nice brakes and a flush on the brake hydraulics. Maybe also ensure that the bushings are all in good order on the underside too.