PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen stereo wiring issue; the dreaded blue/yellow wire

RedRover92
08-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Hi everyone, What a great site. I'm new here and a fairly new owner of a beautiful red 92 Celica GT convertible. The car is in great condition and I've had great luck with it until recently. The original stereo system was replaced with a Kenwood deck and aftermarket amp. which worked great until a couple weeks ago. It had been in the car for about two years working perfectly.

I found the 20 amp fuse in the main box (near the battery) was blown and immediately blows when replaced. I traced the problem to the blue wire with a yellow stripe which powers other things in addition to the stereo and clock.

I traced that wire into the car to the second fuse box behind the drivers side front kick. I then checked continuity of that wire from the main box to the stereo, clock, and every blue/yellow wire connected to the 2nd box and found no issue. The wire also branches off prior to the 2nd box, goes behind it, and leads to two pigtail type connectors. I get continuity to the smaller pigtail but not the larger one.

Secondary to this I checked my amp. It isn't powering up either. I'm unsure if that's because the stereo is not powering up first or if it means my amp has an issue too.

I'm very new to auto electric and stuck at this point. My initial thought is there's a break in the wire behind that 2nd box, it's hitting something, and causing the fuse to blow. I'd really rather not pull that box out, unwrap everything, to find I'm wrong.

I'm wondering if anyone could help me with thoughts or suggestions before I resort to cutting it and attempt to run new wires. Also would anyone know where I might find a schematic that would show that circuit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My back can't take another day bent like pretzel tracing wires. :surrender:

Shadowlife25
08-10-2016, 03:30 AM
If everything was working as intended and this just happened, the most likely culprit is the main wire for the amp (The one with the fuse that blows immediately)
It is probably passed through the firewall into the cabin somewhere and is against bare metal that damaged the jacket on the wire.

Another option is that the wiring going into the amplifier is loose and not properly in it's place/secured.
Is the amp mounted somewhere or is it just kind of flopping about in the back or under a seat?
I would also check the 10A stereo fuse in the cabin. (Kickpanel area on driver side)

That is my best guess.

If you inspect that wire (along its full length mind you) and it is fully intact, then post back and we will go from there. :)

Also, welcome to the forum!

RedRover92
08-10-2016, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the welcome and reply!!

The main wire from the amp (red) goes directly to the battery, the ground is mounted through the floor near the rear seat. The third amp wire (solid blue) goes directly to the deck, taps into the pink wire (LF speaker +) and has continuity but since the power can't get to the deck with a blown fuse there's no power to the pink or blue wire.

The red power wire has no contact with the blue/yellow wire which is causing the fuse to blow. According to a video I found it said I could bench test the amp by hooking power and ground which I tried but it didn't turn on. I also tried disconnecting the deck, amp, clock, cigarette lighter, and ashtray light, hooked the battery back up, tried a new fuse and it immediately blew again. I also checked the 7.5 a fuse in the amp, the 10 a fuse in the deck, and the 15 a in kickpanel fuse box, all are fine.

Honestly my brain hurts...I can rewire my house but the car...ugh. Any other suggestions based on the additional info?

Thanks again!

Murgatroy
08-10-2016, 11:48 AM
The blue wire from the amp is your switch. When you bench tested it, you needed to hook up power and ground, then run the blue wire to power, to 'switch' the amp on. The amp is not constant on.

RedRover92
08-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the tip I'll give that a shot.

Just a quick update to verify I did check the main red power wire to the amp and there's no break and the continuity is good.

underscore
08-10-2016, 11:16 PM
The blue wire for the amp is tied into the LF+? It should be going to its own wire on the deck, if that wire is missing or not working tie the blue wire to the ignition switched power wire (should be red).

If you think something from the secondary box is blowing the fuse in the main box, remove all the fuses in the second box and reinstall them one by one until the fuse blows.

On a bit of a side note, is there no fuse on the red power wire from the battery to the amp?

RedRover92
08-11-2016, 12:36 AM
Yes, there is a fuse to the red power wire and they had the blue amp wire tapped into the pink wire from the original stereo harness which I show as the left front speaker + wire.

The good news is I was finally able to track it down, just got it all put back together, and it's all working again! The issue was a wire from the power antenna. It looks like at some point the antenna was replaced. They had cut the wires from the original connector and hooked them up separately. The wire must have been making contact with something and shorting out the circuit.

I'm glad that problems over. Thanks you all for the help and tips!

For anyone looking for wiring diagrams I found a bunch of great links on bgbonline. I'm new here so it won't let me post the link but you can google it and the site comes up.

Murgatroy
08-11-2016, 02:08 AM
You are aware that the BGBOnline IS Celicatech, right?

RedRover92
08-11-2016, 02:30 AM
I wasn't, but I am now.

bloodMoney
08-11-2016, 07:37 PM
You are aware that the BGBOnline IS Celicatech, right?

Way to come off like an ass Murg.

Glad you got the issue figured out. Welcome! There's tons of knowledge here, on top of the BGBOnline, lots of little crap that isn't mentioned in the BGBs.

Murgatroy
08-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Come off like an ass? I am an ass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Shadowlife25
08-12-2016, 01:03 AM
FYI, The ANTENNA wire is pretty much the same as the AMP + wire in function on many decks, which sometimes leads to folks using the incorrect one upon install. It is a common mistake. Also when securing wires (splicing into new or existing) it is always a good idea to use a waterproof butt connector. Especilly in areas that *might* see moisture.

Glad you found the source of the short though, a dead short is nasty at the best of times and hair-pulling drive you mad when you can't find it and toss tools across the shop at the worst. ;) :)

bloodMoney
08-12-2016, 03:47 PM

This is true. I don't know what I was thinking....

underscore
08-13-2016, 12:34 AM
Also when securing wires (splicing into new or existing) it is always a good idea to use a waterproof butt connector. Especilly in areas that *might* see moisture.

Heh heh, you said butt. Seriously though, solder + shrink wrap > heiny connectors.

Shadowlife25
08-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Well, the industrial heat shrink waterproof connectors are actually pretty well made of win. Also, I recommend the same typically but as he said he is not electronically inclined, I figured it would be simplest. :)

underscore
08-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Good points, but you still said butt.

Shadowlife25
08-14-2016, 11:00 PM
*insert Beavis and Butthead laughter here* ;)

RedRover92
08-15-2016, 02:15 PM

Lol...it's okay the sarcasm wasn't lost on me and I can take it.

RedRover92
08-15-2016, 02:22 PM
FYI, The ANTENNA wire is pretty much the same as the AMP + wire in function on many decks, which sometimes leads to folks using the incorrect one upon install. It is a common mistake. Also when securing wires (splicing into new or existing) it is always a good idea to use a waterproof butt connector. Especilly in areas that *might* see moisture.

Glad you found the source of the short though, a dead short is nasty at the best of times and hair-pulling drive you mad when you can't find it and toss tools across the shop at the worst. ;) :)

I hadn't even thought to check the antenna until I isolated the issue to one of the connectors behind the kick panel. And...I'm sure my neighbors heard my slightly colorful language along the way. :-)

RedRover92
08-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Well, the industrial heat shrink waterproof connectors are actually pretty well made of win. Also, I recommend the same typically but as he said he is not electronically inclined, I figured it would be simplest. :)

I use both when I connect anything, just in case. The previous owner had done some work to the system before me and unfortunately used neither. And that would be "she"...and a grandmother at that. Hanging upside down under a dashboard isn't as easy as it used to be. :-)

Shadowlife25
08-17-2016, 04:49 AM
I use both when I connect anything, just in case. The previous owner had done some work to the system before me and unfortunately used neither. And that would be "she"...and a grandmother at that. Hanging upside down under a dashboard isn't as easy as it used to be. :-)

That being on your back with one leg on the ground, the other on the door sill and the edge of the seat bottom sticking you in the back while you go snipe hunting is always.... interesting. :D

david in germany
09-14-2016, 06:21 AM

But in the Celica the antenna power is killed when you use a tape or a CD. The decks usually have 2 switched outs. one is on when the deck is on regardless of the input source and then the antenna power. Most aftermarket harnesses sum the two for one output.

Shadowlife25
09-18-2016, 09:09 AM
True David. :P

I haven't had a stock tape deck/CD player in so long I had forgotten about it. LOL