PDA

View Full Version : Alternator wire keeps melting

Grandmastalo
07-22-2016, 05:35 PM
The wire that attaches to the alternator with the nut keeps melting on me. Is there a diagram somewhere where I can check the grounds or replace the whole thing?

4thgenceli
07-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Doesn't sound like a grounding wire problem but rather the alternator B+ wire is grounding itself out somewhere (cut on chassis, etc). When I did the big 3 upgrade on my motor I stripped that wire out of the loom and installed a new wire in it's place. It may be easier and quicker to just run a new B+ wire from the fusebox over to the alternator and cut the old one out.

This could be a sign of a bad alternator too though. Have you had that tested at all?

CollapsedNut
07-23-2016, 11:03 PM
That wire runs from the alt to the fuse box. Have you messed with the fuse box at all? What I've seen on mulitiple harnesses is at the intake side of the engine, where that wire goes into the main harness then the harness goes along the back of the engine, that bend is kinda rough on wires and after years and years the insulation gets brittle and cracks open.

Grandmastalo
07-24-2016, 09:42 AM
I will have to check the insulation then. The wires itself are dark and 'crunchy'. But the alternator I got replaced less than a year ago. I spliced some new wire to the old one but it keeps melting at where the old wire meets the new. It first melted last November on the ring connector which I just stretched it and reattached the non-burnt wire to the ring connector. Lasted about 3 months, before melting at the ring connector again. Also I lost the rubber covering, could it be arcing while I'm driving because it's not covered? Overall, I think I will try your method 4thgenceli, been wanting to just replace the wire, but quicker and easier was what I was looking for. Thanks!

93celicaconv
08-05-2016, 01:58 AM
Do you have an aftermarket head unit, high-power amp, large sub-woofers? If so, those can draw a lot of current, perhaps more than your setup can handle? Otherwise it sounds like the wire is grounding itself somewhere, as others have said.