PDA

View Full Version : slim fan size?

celica91gts
06-18-2016, 06:44 PM
hey guys, i'm finishing up my 4th gen swap and was installing my stock radiator fan and it is too fat. So i'm looking into getting a 12 inch low profile spal fan. it will be a puller, 12 volts.

what size are you guys running?

do you think this is good enough or should i get two of them?

Shadowlife25
06-19-2016, 01:25 AM
I run a 10" slimline on my aftermarket rad and I have zero cooling issues in the AllTrac.
12" should do fine on it's own with the stock rad.

4thgenceli
06-19-2016, 02:37 AM
I did dual 10" pusher fans on mine. I had no room after the aluminum radiator and turbo clock to put a fan behind it. I could of done a single 12" puller but opted for the dual 10" fans. No cooling issues here in the Phoenix heat under boost at all.

Shadowlife25
06-19-2016, 02:57 AM
Aren't we both running ASI units though Tim?
They are THICK. Also the rads themselves are extremely good at their job. As long as we have airflow through there even a little is enough.
Perhaps he should go with a dual 10" setup like you have especially if he is keeping the stock rad.

4thgenceli
06-19-2016, 03:09 AM
Yep.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

celica91gts
06-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I bought a stock radiator. I was looking at the koyo's and asi's but koyos was for 94-99 celicas and the asi's were for all-tracs so I wasn't sure about the fitment of these so I just bought a stock one. Duel core aluminum but with plastic tanks =(. Made me a little sad when I took it out of the box. Thanks for the reply's guys.

Tim, I'm gonna stick with my stock top mount intercooler now till i have the money to convert to a fmic. but it will happen eventually. will there be any issues if i have duel pushers fans?

4thgenceli
06-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I bought a stock radiator. I was looking at the koyo's and asi's but koyos was for 94-99 celicas and the asi's were for all-tracs so I wasn't sure about the fitment of these so I just bought a stock one. Duel core aluminum but with plastic tanks =(. Made me a little sad when I took it out of the box. Thanks for the reply's guys.

Tim, I'm gonna stick with my stock top mount intercooler now till i have the money to convert to a fmic. but it will happen eventually. will there be any issues if i have duel pushers fans?

Couple different things going on here.

The ASI radiators will fit in the non-alltrac version of the car for the st185/184 and the st165/st162. I don't see why this won't work for the st205/st204 version models. Myself and many others ordered the the alltrac ASI radiators and threw them in the other model (mine was in a st162 GTS for example). The only thing I had to do on mine with the gen4 motor swapped in was cap off the turbo radiator line since the gen4 turbo didn't have a line right to the radiator. Other than that it'll work fine The only complaint that really existed was the fan mounting holes didn't quite line up to the stock shrouds. People had to make the fan shrouds larger to accommodate.

I'll try to dig back out the pictures -- but my FMIC setup was actually below the radiator. Airflow wasn't a problem but road debris was. I had to replace my hot or cold side pipes a couple times due to unforeseen debris. This time I'm going for a W2A cooler. Priced it out and it'll be the same cost as a FMIC unit. I'll try to get some pictures of the setup I'm going for.

ChrisD
06-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Tim I think maybe he means putting a 6th gen rad in a 5th gen. I'm currently fitting the 6th gen Mishimoto in my 165, and there's a fair bit of customization involved....

4thgenceli
06-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Tim I think maybe he means putting a 6th gen rad in a 5th gen. I'm currently fitting the 6th gen Mishimoto in my 165, and there's a fair bit of customization involved....

Think I had a typo between my brain and keyboard.

The alltrac version of the ASI radiator will fit in the non-alltrac models. Myself and others have done it. I'd guess he would have fabrication issues with the 6th gen radiator in his st184 as well.

ChrisD
06-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Think I had a typo between my brain and keyboard.

The alltrac version of the ASI radiator will fit in the non-alltrac models. Myself and others have done it. I'd guess he would have fabrication issues with the 6th gen radiator in his st184 as well.

Yep, in that you are correct for sure. I've done it too.

4thgenceli
06-20-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm planning on an ASI radiator in mine as well -- but this time I'll figure out a GOOD way to block off the turbo coolant pipe.

celica91gts
06-20-2016, 08:02 PM
best way would probably to have a machine shop make you a simple block off plate? I've seen them made for intake manifolds. maybe take a grinder to it and make one fit.

something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-71-426-Hemi-Intake-Manifold-Heat-Tube-Block-Off-Plate-Set-/401123204151

4thgenceli
06-20-2016, 08:10 PM
On the ASI radiator for the 165 there was an extra nipple for feeding the turbo coolant line (just to the right of the upper radiator hose in this picture) which is normal when using the gen1 3sgte.

http://planetcampbell.us/ASI%20ST165%20Aluminum%20Radiator.JPG

On the gen4 motor though the turbo water feed is off the thermostat area and not the radiator which makes this extra nipple un-necessary.

celica91gts
06-20-2016, 09:28 PM
oh, you guys talking about the nipple on the radiator? jb weld and a little hope.

4thgenceli
06-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Yeah. I ended up putting a hose on it with a bolt on the other end, JB weld around the bolt and hoseclamps to hold it in. It still fucking leaked on me.

celica91gts
06-20-2016, 10:10 PM
Find someone who knows how to weld aluminum and weld it shut is the best way I'd think.

ChrisD
06-20-2016, 10:20 PM
I put a hose and bolt but used FIPG. Held for years

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

CollapsedNut
06-20-2016, 10:30 PM
I'd just use a coolant grade cap...You guys over complicate.

Shadowlife25
06-22-2016, 08:56 AM
It is irrelevant now, but the AllTrac spec ASI will drop right in to any 5th gen as far as I know and since the AirCon stuff is more forward, it will not cause issues and everything should still mount as stock.
The mounting points for it were no issue for me, but again I have an AllTrac, so there may be a very small variance, though I am fairly certain there isn't.
ASI actually did change a couple things in regard to fitment after the initial GB production run so if you were to get one down the road, it should be a really simple install.
Also, you can use a Honda rad cap on it with no issue and they are dirt cheap and you can find them all day.
Take that for what it is worth and I hope it helps you down the road. :)

Also, I would set up any fans you get as pullers and don't forget to make certain that you sleeve your wires so they don't get too brittle from close proximity to the exhaust.
They have some really inexpensive fire resistant sleeving for wires on Jegs or the like and it works a treat.
Brittle and broken connectors suck but can be replaced simply, wiring is a nightmare to have break internally or have burn and have to repair. ;)

underscore
06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
One thing I would caution for anyone reading this in the future who is considering the ASI rad, I wouldn't suggest one for a car driven in cold weather (below 0*C/32*F). If I'm stopped at a light too long in my GTS the temps will start dropping to the point of nearly losing the heating inside the car.

ASI actually did change a couple things in regard to fitment after the initial GB production run so if you were to get one down the road, it should be a really simple install.
Also, you can use a Honda rad cap on it with no issue and they are dirt cheap and you can find them all day.

The one in my GTFour is from a group buy and the one in my GTS was purchased later and while the fitment is the same the quality of the one from the GB is much better, that said I think it was only a few months later that my GTS rad blew up so it may have been old stock. On the rad cap front throw away the one supplied by ASI right away and buy a better one, both of the ones I got were junk.

celica91gts
06-24-2016, 01:13 PM
nice, i'll consider an asi radiator if i need to replace mine. i looked online and they dont have a legit website? the only ones i find are here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56mm-ASI-Radiator-fit-TOYOTA-CELICA-GT4-ST185-3S-GTE-TURBO-ALL-TRAC-89-93-GREAT-/181923157273

4thgenceli
06-24-2016, 02:21 PM
They sell primarily on eBay. They used to have a website storefront but I can't find the link anymore. Maybe it's in one of my old threads somewhere.

**EDIT**

I lied. It's not ASI -- I bought AutoPWR.

Direct link to their web store:
http://www.autopwr.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=88

They have dealers in Washington and Canada. You'll need to call or email them to change it to USD. I did it all via email and they sent me a Paypal invoice for the radiator in USD and mine came from Washington state.

underscore
06-25-2016, 06:04 PM
As I recall ASI and AutoPWR are the same thing, that may have changed though.

CollapsedNut
06-30-2016, 12:35 AM
I've got a single 10" slim puller on the stock radiator, works just fine.

celica91gts
06-30-2016, 01:10 PM
i went ahead and ordered two 12 inch pullers. I'm in AZ and figured it was good to be safe. they should be here today. i'll u[date with pictures when its on the car.

4thgenceli
06-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Yeah but you're down in Tucson. It's not nearly as bad as it is here in Phoenix. Y'all still need more concrete.

celica91gts
06-30-2016, 11:44 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/WP_20160630_16_21_56_Pro.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/fieldplaya097/media/WP_20160630_16_21_56_Pro.jpg.html)

I lucked out guys! After I had ordered the fans online I had to call back to ask if the fans came with mounting hardware included. The sales person said no, so I asked them to add the mounting hardware to my order so I wouldn't have to pay shipping (16$) for two separate packages. He said he couldn't do that so I asked to cancel my order so I can order it again all together. He then said he'd try to do it and added the hardware to my order. 8 pieces and 2.67$ each. At that point they had already charged me for the fans and i guess i got the mounting hardware for free! =D

Shadowlife25
07-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Score! Now get those puppies in there :)

celica91gts
07-01-2016, 06:51 PM
thanks for all your opinions and reply's guys. helped me pick my fans a lot.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-10-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm running a 12" on my Mishimoto radiator. Even with the proximity to the turbo, car runs cool.