PDA

View Full Version : Cold air box how to?

90ToyAllTrac
06-12-2016, 11:44 PM
So what does one use for walls and edge seals? I imagine the walls must have an insulator quality to be effective. Yet be easy to cut to fit? Thanks

ChrisD
06-13-2016, 04:04 PM
On mine, I used sheet aluminum. I had measured the temp difference with simply that and it was incredibly effective. Just be sure to find a way to duct in cool external air. I had an aluminum lid bolted on top...well, with a carbon fibre overlay to make it look nice. How are you thinking of building yours?

90ToyAllTrac
06-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks. I didn't have the enclosed box w lid concept on my mind yet. For some reason I was thinking the hard way with foam sealing when the hood is closed which is bonkers.

Well the previous (idiot) owner took out the stock airbox and just slapped a universal cone filter on under the hood. I tried installing a factory air box I traded for but then it wouldn't start which makes no sense at all. So anyway to make room I am going to relocate the battery to the trunk and fashion a box around the cone filter. Connecting out somehow through the radiator support.

I also have a WTA inter cooler to install this summer. If it fits. Its already been modified to fit on a Gen 4 and looks pretty close.

Zaluss
06-28-2016, 04:10 PM
On mine, I used sheet aluminum. I had measured the temp difference with simply that and it was incredibly effective. Just be sure to find a way to duct in cool external air. I had an aluminum lid bolted on top...well, with a carbon fibre overlay to make it look nice. How are you thinking of building yours?

I think you should share a few more pictures of your setup so I can replicate it for my ST165 :)

Thanks. I didn't have the enclosed box w lid concept on my mind yet. For some reason I was thinking the hard way with foam sealing when the hood is closed which is bonkers.

Well the previous (idiot) owner took out the stock airbox and just slapped a universal cone filter on under the hood. I tried installing a factory air box I traded for but then it wouldn't start which makes no sense at all. So anyway to make room I am going to relocate the battery to the trunk and fashion a box around the cone filter. Connecting out somehow through the radiator support.

I also have a WTA inter cooler to install this summer. If it fits. Its already been modified to fit on a Gen 4 and looks pretty close.

I attempted to fit the stock airbox on the gen3 swap but that was a no go so I stuck with the HKS cone filter for now. Underhood temps are insane after some spirited driving and I'm sure I'm pulling hot air. I think I'm going to try to go with the smaller Odyssey battery instead of relocation though.

http://i.imgur.com/rbBTRYd.jpg

ChrisD
06-28-2016, 06:04 PM
I think you should share a few more pictures of your setup so I can replicate it for my ST165 :)

I probably could - it's all out of the car now though and may not go back in, at least in its present form. But I could at least show where I used as mounting points and how I did it and such.

Zaluss
06-28-2016, 06:18 PM
I probably could - it's all out of the car now though and may not go back in, at least in its present form. But I could at least show where I used as mounting points and how I did it and such.

That would be awesome! Some measurements too would be cool :) Or if its not going back in and you would be willing to sell it...

ChrisD
06-28-2016, 10:09 PM
I might be willing to. I think with my new setup it is going to be tricky to make work. Now running a 4" intake instead of 3", and want to run a big filter.

Zaluss
06-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Sounds good. Let me know either way.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-10-2016, 07:02 PM

Quick question, are you swapping in a Gen 4 engine? If so, with WTA intercooler are you using and how is it modified? I'm working on getting my funds together to this swap and really want to keep my 205 WTA setup.

4thgenceli
07-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm doing an aftermarket WTA unit on mine using a cobra pump and core.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Nitro_Alltrac
07-10-2016, 09:32 PM
That maybe what I end up doing Tim when I finally get the cash to get the engine.

I've got a Cobra heat exchanger and the Bosch pump that goes with it.