PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen 3sgte st185 swap

819_ay
06-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Soo I've search far and beyond into the interweb to find how to swap a 3rd gen 3sgte into a st185, using the 3rd gen harness... All I can find is use the 2nd Gen harness its easier... But I do not have a 2nd Gen harness available... Would some please help me lol, I'm probably going to be doing this sometime in the next couple of months, just trying to plan ahead thanks in advance

acidice333
06-09-2016, 06:57 PM
If you're fine with wiring, I believe all you need todo if you use the 3rd gen 3sgte harness is extend the harness, figure out the wiring for the fusebox, the ECU and the two big connectors near it (white and gray)

This is all from memory tho. There are some other bits, or at least I had to, like run wire for the radiator fan switch, and AC.. etc..

ChrisD
06-10-2016, 03:47 PM
It is way, way easier if you have a gen 2 harness. Certainly not impossible (heck my car uses an ST185 harness in my 165)...but my preference is to always use the base cars harness, then add in the appropriate systems and terminations as required. Saves a lot of headache with the fuse box, body connectors, interior connectors. Is your original harness gone?

819_ay
06-11-2016, 03:04 AM
Yeah I know it's easier lol, there is info every where for that, but I need my harness for another gt4, i will be removing the ac, the fan is always on,... And when you say fuse box you mean the one inside or under the hood?

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk

ChrisD
06-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Yeah the one under the hood.

Ha, well there's a reason everyone says it. ;) You'd be very well off to purchase another harness...

OK, let's say you still wanted to do it. You would have to:

-Convert the wires at the fuse box to match whichever box you have. The fuse box half plugs in to the engine harness, and half into the engine room harness (the one that goes under the fenders). So you'll have to convert one side. There is no fuse box pinout diagram, so you'll be digging through system circuit diagrams to figure this out. It's a pain. I've done it.
-Terminate any chassis connections inside of the engine bay. There are a few.
-Repin the IG1/IG2 plugs - these are the ones beside the ECU. Again, no direct pinout diagrams for these.
-Figure out A/C if you are using it since those are different.

All in all you are looking at many, many extra hours spent just to save $150 on a harness. But, not impossible!