PDA

View Full Version : How much from my 2nd gen engine will swap over to a 3rd gen long block

Nitro_Alltrac
06-04-2016, 01:14 AM
OK, I'm getting to swap something place of my sad 2nd gen 3S. I've been strongly considering a 4th gen swap but I came across a guy on AT.net this evening that has a 3rd gen 205 WRC long block for sale.

If I were to buy this, am I going to be able to use my exhaust and intake manifolds or do I need 3rd gen parts? I'm thinking the exhaust manifold won't work. My CT26 is good so I can use that. I've already done the 3rd gen electronics conversion, so that's covered. All of the rest of the parts are good on the current engine. I just need to figure out if I can use my manifolds.

If that isn't an option, I'm back to the 4th gen swap.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Hit on an MR2 site. Looks like this is a NO. Especially the manifolds. Looks like the water neck is a no go as well.

Oh well, looks like I'm back to the 4th gen path.

4thgenceli
06-04-2016, 03:25 AM
In my experience... Gen3/Gen4 parts are widely interchangeable. Gen1/Gen2 parts are interchangeable. There are very few parts between the Gen1/2 that are interchangable on the Gen3/4 motors. I do know that when I rebuilt the Gen4 motor I ordered a lot of parts off a SW20 motor that worked just fine. I did a lot of part number cross-referencing to figure out that I was SOL when I broke the Gen4 waterneck.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks Tim. That's what I found when I got time to research a little more last night.

The guy offered me the long block for $300 if I pulled it but by the time I got the intake & exhaust manifolds, water neck and alternator bracket and whatever 3gen parts I'd have to have, I'm pretty much right back at the 4th gen price. Less the wiring of course.