PDA

View Full Version : Engine shakes at idle after changing clutch

st184newbie
05-31-2016, 08:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I have changed the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing on my 5th gen celica with the 2.2l engine. Now there is a vibration throughout the whole car. I can see the exhaust shaking as well. The shaking stops when I rev the engine higher. Also the shaking seems to be worse at certain rpm like 800 rpm and 1000 rpm. I put in a new flywheel. Do you guys think it is not balanced ? I am thinking about taking it apart and putting the old flywheel back in to see if it stops the vibration. Any suggestions ?

Cheers

4thgenceli
05-31-2016, 03:22 PM
How are the motor mounts? In my experience shaking and vibrations that disappear at higher RPMs indicate a fail(ed/ing) motor mount. if the flywheel was unbalanced I think you'd see/feel a vibration at all RPMs and the motor would chew itself to pieces.

Facime
05-31-2016, 06:53 PM
I chased a similar vibration on my last 5th gen and it turned out to be a bad engine front (passenger side) motor mount. It didn't look bad in the car and it didn't even look bad after coming out, but after replacing all the other mounts to no avail, I went ahead and did it. Car never had a vibration again.

sefiro
05-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Sure you centered the clutch?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

4thgenceli
05-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Sure you centered the clutch?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

If the clutch disc wasn't centered the transmission wouldn't of mated up properly (speaking from experience...heh). I've had all 3 situations arise -- flywheel bolts came lose, bad motor mounts and mis-aligned clutch disc. When the disc was mis-aligned I couldn't get the transmission to properly mate up.

st184newbie
05-31-2016, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. All 4 mounts were changed when the clutch was changed. I think some bolts might be loose, I guess I will have to take it apart and tighten everything to see if it solves the engine shaking problem.

st184newbie
06-01-2016, 01:21 PM
If the clutch disc wasn't centered the transmission wouldn't of mated up properly (speaking from experience...heh). I've had all 3 situations arise -- flywheel bolts came lose, bad motor mounts and mis-aligned clutch disc. When the disc was mis-aligned I couldn't get the transmission to properly mate up.

If the disc was misaligned then it would be impossible to get the transmission to connect to the engine right ?

90ToyAllTrac
06-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Sounds exactly like when I got my car off ebay and shipped it. Did the same thing. The idiot I got it from didn't even have a bolt in the front motor mount. After I put a bolt in it wouldn't start at all till I put a ground strap on it. Many other things like reversed upside down door lock cylinders. The kid was joining the Navy. He probly sank his ship by now.

ChrisD
06-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Yeah my money is on a loose motor mount.

st184newbie
06-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Okay so I have tighten all the bolts on the mounts and the engine still shakes at idle. I guess this weekend, I will have to take the transmission apart.

CriScO
06-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Did you use stock mounts or something harder, like polyurethane?

st184newbie
06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Did you use stock mounts or something harder, like polyurethane?

I used stock mounts. Hopefully it is just loose flywheel bolts or some bolts not tighten.

4thgenceli
06-02-2016, 03:09 PM
I used stock mounts. Hopefully it is just loose flywheel bolts or some bolts not tighten.

I can't find my video or pictures anymore -- they're filed away somewhere. If your flywheel bolts were lose you'd hear one hell of a racket.

st184newbie
06-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I can't find my video or pictures anymore -- they're filed away somewhere. If your flywheel bolts were lose you'd hear one hell of a racket.

Hmmm... I can't hear anything bad, the engine shakes so much that the entire car shakes and the exhaust pipe shakes too. Anyway I will take the transmission out this weekend and put everything back. Hopefully it will solve the issue. If not, I will need to look elsewhere. I think it is related to me changing the clutch because it was fine before I changed the clutch.

alltracman78
06-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Sounds exactly like when I got my car off ebay and shipped it. Did the same thing. The idiot I got it from didn't even have a bolt in the front motor mount. After I put a bolt in it wouldn't start at all till I put a ground strap on it. Many other things like reversed upside down door lock cylinders. The kid was joining the Navy. He probly sank his ship by now.
That's some funny shit lol

It definitely sounds like a loose or bad engine mount. If they're aftermarket it's possible one is bad right out of the box.
How is your ignition stuff? Distributor cap? Rotor? Did you loosen one of the plug wires?
If you can't find any loose bolts on the engine mounts take a look at that stuff.