View Full Version : 1990 All-Trac - Upper Speedometer Cable Replacement

04-28-2016, 01:02 AM
My son actually has 2 1990 All-Tracs, both 100% original, one in excellent condition, one not-so-much. Working on the "not-so-much" right now to make it a decent daily driver.

The speedometer just stopped working, Cruise control works fine. Took the speedometer out to find the nylon end of the cable at the back broke off. What is left in the connector behind the speedometer turns as it should when driving. Likely an age thing. Looked up and found that all 1990-1991 Celicas have the exact same upper cable part number, from ST's to All-Tracs. I know I will find a good one or two in the salvage yard.

Just to make sure I don't waste much time, which way do these upper cables come out and go back in, from the engine side of the firewall, or from the dash side of the firewall? I'm pretty sure they only go one way, just not sure which one.

Please help on this.

04-28-2016, 07:57 PM
I think pull out from the dash side, based on what I remember behind the speedometer itself. According to the BGB to remove the top dash you have to remove the speedometer cable.

05-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Update. The upper speedometer cable was a bit interesting to replace. Found 4 at the salvage yard, got 3 of them out. Not sure I did it all by the book, but determined the cable cannot be pulled out and put in from the firewall side (there is no way the housing at the speedometer end will fit through the openings to get to the firewall. That said, the grommet for the firewall is made to seal from the firewall side, and it is a part of the speedometer cable assembly. The only way I could get the cables out from the dash side was to cut the grommet from outside edge to center to remove it from the cable, then pull the cable through from the dash side. On our ST185, before removing, I tied a long string onto the end of the cable in the engine compartment, cut the grommet, then pulled the cable out. The replacement cable I tied the engine compartment end with the string (now on the dash end), and pulled the cable through the firewall. Once through, I took the single cut grommet, fit it over the cable, and secured it in the firewall hole, and it sealed up nicely. All is good now. I'm sure there is a simpler way, but I couldn't figure it out. I have 2 spare upper speedometer cable assemblies now, just in case the other ST185 even breaks.