PDA

View Full Version : Generational discussion.... Warning longer than what I intended to be.

85gtsblackman
04-23-2016, 04:59 AM
So ATM it seems that everyone has gone 70s or 80s Japanese car. We told the youngsters to know their roots well now it's happening.

So what's really going on?

Was the old slower stuff better, simpler go work on, go longer period of time thus maximizing the worst investment you can either your money?

Or

Is it just a fad?

The newest ride I have is from 1994, the oldest from 85, and I dd a beater spec 87 Toyota truck. Seriously the truck is the most worse out thing I've ever driven besides my old maxima and I still get comments on it.

However I will stand behind this, the 3rd gen peaked the rwd chassis, the 1st was ahead of it's time to start, hell people are even trying to find 2nd gens now. As for the fwd celicas.....

The 6th gen to me was the peak. I've driven all of em, worked on all of em and owned 2 different generations. The 4th had me wanting a 3rd gen, the 5th got me started into celicas and feels like it's from the early 90s from a Toyota stand point plus I love, absolutely love pop up headlights, the 7th is when Toyota went al wrong, they went out to make a honda fighter. Now if I wanted high rpm, lightweight gas sipper that wouldn't blow up till 200,000 miles I'd buy an integra. However I want robust torque, comfort, agility, good looks and for all that I'm willing to sacrifice top end. In which I can just turbo and leave the honda in the dust.

That my friends is why the 6th gen was queen. Supra like futuristic interior, but it wrapped around the driver, good gas mileage, looked damn good compaired to most everything else (94-94 front just looks happy) plus you don't see many in the junkyard.

Mine was beat, to hell every day of it's life, neglected, and not well taken care of, then I bought it and beat even more piss out of it delivering pizzas for 3 years in a 7afe powered base coupe. The slowest car they made was my money maker and it never blew up. Even ran it low on oil once, 3 quarts of 20w50 later it kept going untill after I sold it 2 years later. However that was the most balanced fwd I've ever driven.

Curious of what you folks háve to say.

Murgatroy
04-23-2016, 12:40 PM
I have to chuckle a little when you insinuate that 'knowing your roots' is `70s and `80s cars.

I guess that makes me one of the resident old guys, because the cars I grew up wanting were all `50s and `60s cars. The `70s were the end of a good era and after that it all went down hill. In the `90s Japanese cars started to become hot. Mainly because the 'performance' options for domestics were anemic Camaros and Mustangs making 180BHP and falling apart. Everything went FWD and a lot of old guys are still bitter about that.

IMO the most desirable cars of the late `80s and early `90s are very rare in the US. The Skylines, the Supras the NSX, the MR2 the Alltrac, the Evo, the 22B, these cars are nearly nonexistent in the normal car guys lexicon prior to the early `00s. Sure, you had some cats with Eclipses and CRXs, but that was about it. I think the only reason the cars are making a presence on the scene now is because you can't touch a First Gen Mustang or Camaro for less then $10k as a rusted out shell. A clean First Gen Celica can be had for around $5k. The kids with disposable money today grew up playing Gran Turismo. GT was arguably all about the imports. Granted in the late `90s what was the more desirable 'performance' car, a VW GTi or a Pontiac Sunfire? There was nothing domestic worth crap at that point in history. European cars were too expensive. BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche. Kids just earning a paycheck could afford a ten to fifteen year old Corolla, Sentra, Civic. Those are the cars they wanted, cars from the same manufacturers.

For someone my age, I could afford beat up late `60s and `70s cars when I first started making money. That is what I drove. `80s cars were still too new and expensive. You could buy a `73 Camaro for $500 bucks. A `69 Chevelle was a premium at $1200. I was living real high on the hog when I bought a few year old Mustang for $3500. $3500 might not be that much today, it is the starting price for a beater that won't break down ALL the time, but twenty-five years ago, that was a lot of cheddar. The cars from the `50s, `60s and `70s from the domestic automakers were what I grew up seeing, what was on television. FWD was an anomaly. AWD was unheard of.

As I got older and technology advanced, these things were more common, and fancy Japanese models became the norm and set the bar. But for old Luddites like myself, they are too busy and complicated to work on.

The Captain
04-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Every older generation wants the car of their youth. The ones they couldn't afford when they were young or the ones they had fond memories of. This is why 60's muscle cars sell for stupid prices. Old people with stupid money. The cars really weren't that good. Sure they were fast in a straight line but that was at 10mpg. They were loud, handled like shit and had brakes made of warm oatmeal yet they'll drop 6 figures on one. Japan showed the world that inexpensive didn't equate to unreliable. As each generation ages the cars they desire move with them. The day of Japan Inc is coming. The question is will that generation spend money on a car that was economical in the first place?

Now someone make an investment and buy Princess LOL!

METDeath
04-23-2016, 03:15 PM
I have to chuckle a little when you insinuate that 'knowing your roots' is `70s and `80s cars.

I guess that makes me one of the resident old guys, because the cars I grew up wanting were all `50s and `60s cars. The `70s were the end of a good era and after that it all went down hill. In the `90s Japanese cars started to become hot. Mainly because the 'performance' options for domestics were anemic Camaros and Mustangs making 180BHP and falling apart. Everything went FWD and a lot of old guys are still bitter about that.

IMO the most desirable cars of the late `80s and early `90s are very rare in the US. The Skylines, the Supras the NSX, the MR2 the Alltrac, the Evo, the 22B, these cars are nearly nonexistent in the normal car guys lexicon prior to the early `00s. Sure, you had some cats with Eclipses and CRXs, but that was about it. I think the only reason the cars are making a presence on the scene now is because you can't touch a First Gen Mustang or Camaro for less then $10k as a rusted out shell. A clean First Gen Celica can be had for around $5k. The kids with disposable money today grew up playing Gran Turismo. GT was arguably all about the imports. Granted in the late `90s what was the more desirable 'performance' car, a VW GTi or a Pontiac Sunfire? There was nothing domestic worth crap at that point in history. European cars were too expensive. BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche. Kids just earning a paycheck could afford a ten to fifteen year old Corolla, Sentra, Civic. Those are the cars they wanted, cars from the same manufacturers.

For someone my age, I could afford beat up late `60s and `70s cars when I first started making money. That is what I drove. `80s cars were still too new and expensive. You could buy a `73 Camaro for $500 bucks. A `69 Chevelle was a premium at $1200. I was living real high on the hog when I bought a few year old Mustang for $3500. $3500 might not be that much today, it is the starting price for a beater that won't break down ALL the time, but twenty-five years ago, that was a lot of cheddar. The cars from the `50s, `60s and `70s from the domestic automakers were what I grew up seeing, what was on television. FWD was an anomaly. AWD was unheard of.

As I got older and technology advanced, these things were more common, and fancy Japanese models became the norm and set the bar. But for old Luddites like myself, they are too busy and complicated to work on.

Yeah... funny you should mention Gran Turismo... this is right out of Gran Turismo 2 on the PlayStation... guess what I always bought? Even back before I had a car.

http://i.imgur.com/tNgX0VS.png

Yes, I know it's weird, they got the bumper and side molding wrong, at certain points (full side view) you can see the GT-FOUR sticker.

85gtsblackman
04-23-2016, 06:51 PM
I'll come back to this later with more detail

Murg and the rest of you I ment we used to say know your roots, celica roots. Ugh damn I gotta explain everything.

However we are following the same trend as the muscle car era folks with differences but basic fundamentals of said era.

Muscle cars is a whole nother thread.

The Captain
04-24-2016, 01:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tNgX0VS.png

3086 pounds. Ha! Without the engine and trans!

METDeath
04-24-2016, 05:48 AM
3086 pounds. Ha! Without the engine and trans!

Japanese model, less safety equipment maybe?

The Captain
04-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Japanese model, less safety equipment maybe?
Princess is over 3400lbs. I don't think seat belts and airbags weigh that much. :)

METDeath
04-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Princess is over 3400lbs. I don't think seat belts and airbags weigh that much. :)

Must but all those decals and pretty paint!

tuner4life
04-25-2016, 12:58 PM
80s and 90s Imports and tuner cars are the "classics" and "muscle cars" of the generations before us. They were cool in their day, but people are really starting to realize their importance and worth. They remind the owners of a simpler time before cars were too complicated to work on and have a sense of nostalgia to the owners. While there are some models that aren't ever going to bring any sort of value. I think that there is going to be a big uptick in the value of some of these care in the not-to-distant future. Now that all the ricers have destroyed a vast number of them and they aren't easy to fine anymore.

90ToyAllTrac
04-25-2016, 04:10 PM
2 Mustangs and 3 Toyotas. 69-94. After sevaral years of mostly pain they are all now nearly 100% operational and upgrade able. It's going to be a great summer for my cars!

I remember as a toddler riding in the stadium sized back seat of my grandfathers 70's Tbird on the shty 2 lane highways of MN and him accelerating and grumbling about not letting a Dodge pass him. I grew up making mental lists of what cars I would buy and stash if I had a time machine. Currently that list is:
Ford Talldega
427 Vette, for cash only as I don't like vettes
69 Shelby Mustang GT500
Shelby Cobra
70 Challenger, white (Vanishing Point)
70 Cuda
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, you get the idea. :laugh:

AND a 94 Celica GT4!

85gtsblackman
04-27-2016, 03:28 AM
80s and 90s Imports and tuner cars are the "classics" and "muscle cars" of the generations before us. They were cool in their day, but people are really starting to realize their importance and worth. They remind the owners of a simpler time before cars were too complicated to work on and have a sense of nostalgia to the owners. While there are some models that aren't ever going to bring any sort of value. I think that there is going to be a big uptick in the value of some of these care in the not-to-distant future. Now that all the ricers have destroyed a vast number of them and they aren't easy to fine anymore.

This, I mean seriously i can run the 22rte off mega squirt for less than 500 bucks. However while my ride n tune of the 22r (drive carbbed vehicle, adjust things/ change stuff get back on hwy) I was asked by about 6 passerby was I ok, 3 knew what I was doing however they were in their 60s and were suprized I knew what I was doing.

The dorifto craze has ruined a many good rwd cars and the ricers haven't helped. I've seriously considered buying a s13 and just sit on it until I'm 60 then see if I can retire off of it.

locker
04-27-2016, 09:03 PM
I think it really comes down to as someone else mentioned "Cars of your youth"
As you get older and have a bit of cash you want to buy back your youth. For some it's a special car they owned and for others is buying the car that was on the poster in your bedroom.
I think you're seeing the 70's and 80's Japanese cars making a big come back because those 1st, 2nd and 3rd owners of those cars are now getting into their late 40's early 50's and have the time and money to buy back their youth. It will be same with cars from the 90's in another 5-10 years once people of my generation are done being rob of house and home by our children.

I am quite biased as thats why I'm taking the time and speeding the money to restore my car. The 1st cool car I ever got to drive was my older brothers celica GTS. My 1st car was a 1991 GTS and so I'm building my 90 Turbo 4 wheel.

85gtsblackman
05-03-2016, 04:02 AM
That plus the rwd craze hit due to overpopulation of safetymobiles.