PDA

View Full Version : Live Sound Amp

Javier4161
04-20-2016, 02:32 AM
So after removing my door panel to, I realized that my speakers were in an enclosure that say "Live Sound". However I've taken out my seats before and I have no amp under the passenger seat. Is there anywhere else it could be? Also, I have a convertible, but I've only been able to find 8 speakers, can't find the rear tweeters if I have any. If anybody has any info on the '91 GT Convertibles Live Sound systems, I'd very much appreciate it.http://i.imgur.com/wGdF2va.jpg

METDeath
04-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Convertibles only got tweeters on the front, so it was only 8 speakers total.

You should have:
2 front tweeters
2 front door speakers 8"
2 front under dash speakers 4.5"
2 rear passenger speakers (I don't know this size off the top of my head, in the regular cars it's a 6.5" but I think it's smaller in the convertibles.)

The amp is normally under the passenger seat, if you do not have the factory head unit, there is not an easy way to hook up an aftermarket unit to the amp on a 90/91 as they used a different plug that only has 14 pins. The plug is available from Europe for about $40-60 dollars.

Javier4161
04-21-2016, 10:06 AM
UPDATE:

removed my passenger seat again and snooped around, found a cut ground cable and a bundle of wires hidden under the carpet, carpet has a rectangular stain over it, so I'm guessing the previous owner took the amp.

I also do not have the factory head unit, when I bought it it came with the older Toyota Cassette deck, that somebody had cut and crimped the wires to. I installed a Pioneer head unit and it all worked fine.

Is there anyway that they bypassed the amp? My rear speakers don't work, so I'm guessing they took out the amp and wired only the front 6

bloodMoney
04-21-2016, 02:22 PM
I would just run new (upgraded) speaker wire to all the speakers, since it sounds like you need to go through the whole audio system.

METDeath
04-21-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure on the convertibles... but on the GTS/All-trac with System 10 they ran an additional harness.

This harness ran from the regular two plugs, down to the amp, and back up to the radio. It also ran two wires to each door speaker.

Javier4161
04-23-2016, 10:29 PM
So I decided to just buy an 8 channel Amp and rewire the system all around with new wire and speakers with the possibility of a sub in the future since the PO ghetto wired the front speakers which are 6.5's just sitting and rattling in the dash

METDeath
04-24-2016, 05:49 AM
So I decided to just buy an 8 channel Amp and rewire the system all around with new wire and speakers with the possibility of a sub in the future since the PO ghetto wired the front speakers which are 6.5's just sitting and rattling in the dash

I would suggest getting speaker boxes out of a non System 8/10 car. You can get by with a 5 channel amp. I have an Alpine 5 channel, with the sub channel being dedicated to the doors. My build thread has the parts detailed, but no real pictures. The Captain's secret project/Duchess build thread I believe has some of his convertible build.

Javier4161
04-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Seems easy enough
I'll look around for speaker boxes, if not I'll just find a way to stop the rattling and leave the 6.5's

Thanks everyone for their help! Very much appreciated

Shadowlife25
04-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Seems easy enough
I'll look around for speaker boxes, if not I'll just find a way to stop the rattling and leave the 6.5's

Thanks everyone for their help! Very much appreciated

There are no cross compatible enclosures for the rear speakers. They are 5" drivers back there or 4", I forget which it has been a while.
Front drivers in the dash section should be 4-5 as well. One set of tweeters in sails, and door drivers should be 8 for the live sound/system 10.

My recommendation would be to put in the correct sized drivers for those locations, use a deck that has an active crossover network and then amplify them. Done deal.
Also, I would entirely ignore the rear speakers. They are worse than useless.
Use your front drivers and a sub. You can thank me later.

bloodMoney
04-29-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't know that I agree with you guys on the rear speakers...

Stacy managed to fit components in to the doors and the rear of Ellie still using/modifying the System10 boxes. We ignored the dash speakers and added a compact 10" sub to the hatch.

I've yet to hear a car that sounds better... Hell, we haven't even managed to replicate that sound in Patty...

METDeath
05-01-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't know that I agree with you guys on the rear speakers...

Stacy managed to fit components in to the doors and the rear of Ellie still using/modifying the System10 boxes. We ignored the dash speakers and added a compact 10" sub to the hatch.

I've yet to hear a car that sounds better... Hell, we haven't even managed to replicate that sound in Patty...

I think it's more that the rear vert speakers are TINY compared to the rest of the line up.

Shadowlife25
05-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Bingo. Like I said, they are useless.