PDA

View Full Version : 95' Convertible Battery Drain

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Up until yesterday, my 1995 Convertible GT ran perfect. The power steering pump has a leak and the foamed fluid overflowed. I replaced the fluid and cleaned out the engine bay where the spill was. I used a little soap, and rinsed it with some water.

Since then, the battery drains in about 60 seconds. I can shut off, and immediately start the car back up. If the car sits for more than a minute, I just get clicking. Starter doesn't even turn over.

I've taken all the wire harnesses and electrical connections apart on that side of the engine bay and cleaned them with electrical contact/wire cleaner. I removed the fender, the lights, the bumper, etc to clean. The battery, alternator, and charging security pass a check at AutoZone. I can run and drive the car without throwing of codes, etc. As soon as I turn off the engine for longer than a minute, it doesn't start.

Not sure what else I can do. I was in the middle of a sale, and now thats gone pending me solving this annoying and time-consuming issue. If I don't figure this out in a few days, I'm calling a yard. I really don't have time to deal with a car I'm trying to get rid of.

Facime
04-03-2016, 01:15 AM
One of the main grounds is on that side. Even if you had a massive short it wouldn't drain the battery that fast. Id guess bad ground somewhere. Start at the terminals and follow the main ground to its conclusion and clean that end as well.

sefiro
04-03-2016, 03:16 AM
Hook an amp meter between the positive wire and battery terminal. Start pulling fuses to see which circuit is drawing current. Once found, then you can start reaching the circuit itself.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-03-2016, 05:27 AM
I replaced my multimeter (last one sprouted legs at work and wandered off). I guess because I had flushed out that side, I assumed there was a short or a drain. I got the entire harness apart from the fuse box and cleaned it. No bad wires, shorts, or water.

I got the battery charged, and then checked for a draw. 28ma was the draw on the battery. That pretty much rules out a drain. Something isn't grounded or the battery is randomly toast. I'm going to recheck their charging health tomorrow. Hopefully this turns out to be an easy fix.

bloodMoney
04-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Michael, replace that ground on the passenger side between the head and the strut tower. I had something similar happen and once I replaced that guy with some 8ga amp wire, I never had a problem again.

Shadowlife25
04-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Fingers crossed that it is a simple fix Michael.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-07-2016, 02:17 PM
I had the battery retested yesterday. One of the cells decided to die. I'll never know if that ground issue was the catalyst for it's demise, or the battery randomly went the moment I cleaned out the engine bay. I'm dropping it in and taking the car to get smogged. Hopefully that's what the issue was (and Carquest wasn't just trying to sell me a new battery).