PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen wiring question

rgblanchette
03-06-2016, 03:21 AM
I recently bought my daughters 89 celica gt convertible. It has a number of issues, not the least of which is a wiring nightmare. I am looking to basically rewire everything and start from scratch. Any ideas or suggestions on 1. Where to find the parts, 2. Where to find a wiring diagram to follow, 3. Whether or not this is going to be a waste of time...lol.

CollapsedNut
03-06-2016, 04:57 AM
Man. It's not gonna be easy. I'm currently putting the engine back in my 89 and cleaning up the harness. Finding the correct wire terminals is not easy, and I haven't actually been able to find the correct ones. Every terminal I order is always slightly different. Is it the engine harness or chassis side you're looking at? Either way, I assume you are knowledgeable in electrical diagnostics. If you are not and don't have the tooling to do voltage drop tests, crimp terminals properly, or even remove terminals from connectors properly I say don't mess with it too much or you'll end up with more headaches. If you can visually find a bad spot in wiring and know how to solder wires you can patch up the bad sections, but it's hard to find the bad spot sometimes. Sell the demon off to somebody who want's a never ending project and get her something else is my suggestion.

4thgenceli
03-06-2016, 06:28 PM
You could also hit up junkers and salvage wiring stuff you need.