PDA

View Full Version : I'm Heartbroken

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-17-2016, 11:43 AM
She's gone.

The little Japanese made unibody hatchback that I worked so hard to import from Canada, is gone. I went out to move her before I left for the rest of the week on a work assignment, and she was missing. A few phone calls later I learned that someone had called her in for blocking a driveway on a business that is no longer a driveway and had her impounded.

The towing company charged me two days of storage plus after-hours on a tow that happened less than 24 hours ago. I paid the fee with what was left in my bank, and then he apologized and said that he forgot to tell me there were additional fees.

Now I wait until morning to decide what to do, when I need to leave for Laughlin Nevada in a few hours for work. I'll try and catch some sleep.

I am heartbroken. I know in my heart of hearts, that given her condition, her current status, that she isn't worth much more than what all these fees will cost. I have been preparing to let go, but have been planning a much more spectacular send-off. Last week, she was broken into, and gutted while on a job downtown.

It was her time.

I don't think I've ever loved a car more in my entire life. To champion the cross-country trek fully laden with belongings five times without rejection. To clock 328,000 miles without hesitation on a 25 year old chassis. She took me to more amazing places than any vehicle ever has. She's been parked in both Manhattan and Santa Monica within the same year. She deserved to be retired back in Canada on the Ogopogo.

Now I sit with a quiet sadness realizing that my friend has been stolen without my permission. That tomorrow I will decide to abandon my chariot and move forward with a new adventure. Tomorrow I'll say goodbye.

bloodMoney
02-17-2016, 05:23 PM
That sucks. I'm sorry Michael.

Although, I'm not sure why you are stuck paying the impound fees, when the car was stolen?

Murgatroy
02-17-2016, 11:33 PM
The car was broken into last week, impounded this week.

That is a bitch.

MCcelica
02-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Damn yO.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-19-2016, 11:21 PM
I wrote the above as soon as I got home. Best way to vent. I've never felt in my life like I was on the loss of anger control with another person. I wanted to burn that office down right there.

I slept a few hours. Woke up, drank some tea, and did some reading.

Kalifornistan requires a $250 fee to be collected by the municipality regardless of what fees you pay the lot. They go to collections and chase you if you don't pay. Even if I abandoned a soon-to-be sold car to eat lot fees, I still owed the city.

On top of that, I owe a $55 parking ticket.

Now, I know for a fact that I was legally parked. If I want to dispute this, I need to pay to have a hearing. I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BEFORE I GO TO COURT. I have to pay $75 to schedule a hearing, where they decide if there is enough evidence. Fucking state. Fucking Schwarzenegger.

Kalifornistan, yo.

So, I did what any other human being would do, and I paid the $500 to get the car out on top of the $250 already out for the yard's miscommunication. $400 in damages last week, $750 gone this week, and the car is probably worth $500. Fucking amazing. At least I can get a few hundred dollars back when I sell this to the junkyard to help offset the bullshit.

$750 in the hole, and 5 hours late to work in Laughlin, NV for the 2016 UTV World Championships. I'm taking it as a sign to stay away from gambling tables.

In all seriousness, the days are counting down to the replacement of this car. I'm getting a 2000 Toyota 4Runner Highlander. The other Celica is for sale. I will be Celica-less in a couple months.

Shadowlife25
02-20-2016, 12:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the misfortune Michael. It sucks ass.
Also, yeah it blows here. You can not get a trial unless you pay them up front. They TELL you that you will get back a portion of the fee paid IF you win, but really, it all goes into the coffers and you never see a dime of it. I guess they are just really adept at exploiting the loophole in the law as written. So technically you are totally able to have a trial. (You just have to afford it first) (puke)

crymson
02-20-2016, 08:24 AM
That sucks dick.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-24-2016, 04:22 AM
Fuck. The story continues.

I came back to my car last night to find the windshield had been struck. There is a crack that stretches over 50% of the glass, dead center, left to right.

Truthfully, I've neglected this car for months while on the road. I come back and have a weekend where I claybar, polish, wax, and detail her paint back to a factory showroom, mirror-like shine. Then 3 days later, it gets broken into. A week later, she's impounded. Now, her glass broken.

I know I'm getting rid of this car, but man. This is some fucking bullshit.

pintoBC_3sgte
02-24-2016, 04:40 AM
Holy hell! Talk about a string of crap luck!! Sucks to hear. Lol bring her up to the ogopogo this year, then take her out to the pasture after.

crymson
02-24-2016, 04:40 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-24-2016, 06:46 AM
I did get her in Canada. Maybe that's the current problem.

locker
02-29-2016, 02:47 PM
wow. that really sucks man. Sounds like the car is begging to be put to pasture.

celica9303
03-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Sad face.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-12-2016, 11:24 PM
She's off to Fresno. I was told she's getting a second life, but it sounds more like she's being stripped to keep a rust-free GTS living.

One gone, the other going tomorrow.

underscore
05-14-2016, 04:41 PM
Damn man, sounds like a really rough series of events. Chalk up another victim of Californias terrible car laws.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Damn man, sounds like a really rough series of events. Chalk up another victim of Californias terrible car laws.

Both are gone. Sorting out some loose ends before I dip out of California and head to New York for the summer.