PDA

View Full Version : Heater not working? 2001 Toyota Celica

garywm972
01-22-2016, 07:39 PM
I took my car into 3 different repair shops and they all concluded that it was the heater core.
I had the heater core replaced and the heater is still not working.

What else could it be?

Shadowlife25
01-23-2016, 08:56 AM
If you had the core replaced already, ensure that the level of coolant is correct and there are no bubbles. Next if that checks out, make sure that the servo or cable that operates the valve is not broken.

crymson
01-25-2016, 01:41 AM
I would try burping the system again. A friend had the same problem with hers and it was just air in the system.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MCcelica
01-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Air in the system will cause the heater to blow cold air. Especially if you just had the core replaced. But the other thing it will do is cause over-heating problems with general operation. If you're not overheating then I doubt this is your issue. But to be sure, the cheapest way to burp the 7th gens (in my experience) is to park them nose up an incline, put blocks under the back wheels, and jack it even higher on the front. Rev it and let it get warm, then let it idle for a while. Keep adding coolant. You should see lots of bubbles coming out. these systems slurp down a lot of coolant if they're properly burped.

Otherwise it's like Shadowlife25 said. These systems are simple. The cable that Shadowlife25 referenced opens a valve that controls how much coolant gets circulated into the heater core. Once the heater core is warm, there is a fan that blows past that core and out the vents. When the dial is set to more "cool" in cabin air, that means LESS coolant is going through the heater core.

The other thing I would ask is does the car actually properly warm up to a normal operating temp?

Luni
01-27-2016, 12:42 AM
7th gen celicas are kind of touchy to bleed. The coolant fill/bleed system is one piece, and to properly do it, you have to unbolt it and raise it up onto the hood latch. Youll see theres actually a place for it to sit on the hood latch (just slides over)

The cap has a half tight operation mode, and the bleed chamber has a bleed valve too.

You cant just use those things to bleed them, you have to elevate it up onto the hood latch. +1 for properly bleeding the system. Consult the BGB if youre unsure, or just take it to Toyota.

MCcelica
01-28-2016, 03:36 AM
Luni's way of taking the bottle off is probably safer than jacking it up like I said... So do it Luni's way instead.

Luni
01-31-2016, 07:05 PM
My way is the BGB way. It was truly designed to be done this way :)