PDA

View Full Version : Found out on the way home today that I need new back tires now...

Nitro_Alltrac
01-22-2016, 07:17 PM
... and not in a couple of months.

Like several of you, I'm in the midst of the first big winter storm of 2016. I left work early, about 10:45 AM, to get home before things really get bad. Drove the All Trac of course. It goes like a panzer in the snow.

I'm motoring home, driving like I've got some sense on US Rt 35, 4 lane divided highway, and there's snow all over the road. Not a problem.

All of a sudden the back end comes around. And around. The next thing I know, the front wheels are sitting in the median and I'm sitting across the left lane. Luckily the traffic was way back and nobody T-boned me. I got pulled back on the highway and start creeping along and the damn thing looped two more times on me in less than a mile. Luckily I had room ever time and didn't hit anything. Every time the back end came around suddenly and nothing I did would catch it.

I got off the highway at the next exit and took the 2 lane to the interstate. No more problem after that. We had some snow on Wednesday too and that particular area was a lot slicker than normal then as well.

I know that the back tires were worn down a good bit and were going to need to be replaced soon but I had no idea that they were that bad.

Needless to say, I'm buying new rear tires SOON. The car always goes great in the snow. It was a real surprise today.

Shadowlife25
01-23-2016, 09:00 AM
Glad you are ok Mike, that can be scary to deal with when you don't expect it, especially on the highway!

The Captain
01-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Whew! Do you have a torsen rear diff?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Yep, had the torsen in there for years.

The first time caught me completely by surprise and just snapped out from under me. The other two times I felt it going, steered into the skid, steered the way I wanted it to go and applied power, etc. Nothing but rotation.

Murgatroy
01-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Harmony loves the snow.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

grimmythereaper
01-24-2016, 05:14 AM
Man, im glad you are ok nitro

KoreanJoey
01-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Snow tires.

Murgatroy
01-25-2016, 02:48 PM
See I have a hard time thinking snow tires are a worthwhile investment. We get three or four snows a year, that are gone in a matter of days. While obviously the tires would make driving in the snow much better, it would be a hassle to swap wheels and tires every couple of days.

MCcelica
01-26-2016, 07:30 AM
See I have a hard time thinking snow tires are a worthwhile investment. We get three or four snows a year, that are gone in a matter of days. While obviously the tires would make driving in the snow much better, it would be a hassle to swap wheels and tires every couple of days.

In your case, sure. In mine, it's a bit of a different story. I really wish I had the money for snow tires this year. It's been a massive pain in the balls to not have them. Way more of a pain to not have them, then it is to switch them out every couple weeks.

KoreanJoey
01-27-2016, 10:11 AM
It isn't like it snows all that often where I'm at. That said, I do go and hunt snow pretty often. Even those few days it snows, it's totally worth it. I just run good studless snows and drive on them for 4 months out of the year.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-03-2016, 12:58 AM
This was a freak storm for us. We only get one like that every 10-15 years or so. With good all season tire, I've had no problem going even in 4-5". It usually goes like a tank.

I found out the following Monday that I wasn't the only one that had problems on that section although I was the only one that spun. One of my coworkers has a new 4Runner and he said that he fish tailed in the same spot.

That said though, if we got more snow on a more regular basis I'd have snow tires.