PDA

View Full Version : All I wanted for Christmas was a aerial for my Celica...

aka-Caneman
12-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Hmm, that should have been "an aerial." I'm a stickler for good grammar. Anyway, I need an aerial for my 1990 hatchback GT, with the 3-piece spoiler where the aerial passes through a hole in the driver's side piece. The plastic drive "belt" for the automatically deploying aerial broke. Every aftermarket aerial I tried hasn't worked. I haven't been able to find an OEM aerial, a duplicate to the original, that I can afford.

I'll take advice or a used OEM aerial that you might have, that is in workable condition, with a full plastic drive "belt." Attach a picture and a price with your response.Thanks in advance for your help.

MCcelica
12-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Are you talking about the automatic antenna?

METDeath
12-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Are you talking about the automatic antenna?

Yes, he is.

METDeath
12-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Hmm, that should have been "an aerial." I'm a stickler for good grammar. Anyway, I need an aerial for my 1990 hatchback GT, with the 3-piece spoiler where the aerial passes through a hole in the driver's side piece. The plastic drive "belt" for the automatically deploying aerial broke. Every aftermarket aerial I tried hasn't worked. I haven't been able to find an OEM aerial, a duplicate to the original, that I can afford.

I'll take advice or a used OEM aerial that you might have, that is in workable condition, with a full plastic drive "belt." Attach a picture and a price with your response.Thanks in advance for your help.

Generally, I've gotten my replacements for this kind of exact fitment stuff from a Toyota dealership, I'd suggest trying there. If the motor still makes noise you may just want the mast section, not the whole assembly. So turn the key to the "ON" position, if you hear the motor whir you may have a chance to get the old plastic out and save the whole assembly without taking it apart. If some of the plastic is stuck down there then you will have to disassemble it.

aka-Caneman
12-28-2015, 02:41 AM
Hmm, I'd try that, but years ago, when I began the restoration, the restorer wanted the interior removed in order to paint it properly and install a moonroof for me. the original automatic antenna had a broken plastic drive "cable?" We discovered this when it stopped extending/detracting the antenna. We took it apart, found the broken plastic thingy, and tried to piece together a replacement using original and aftermarket parts. It didn't work. We priced an OEM replacement, which was more than $200, so we put it on the "we'll fix it someday when we've taken care of more critical stuff." And that's where it's waited ever since. I've retained most/all of the parts. I'll collect them all, figure out what I'm left with, and get back to you.

But, if anybody's got a full antenna and wants to make some money, let's talk.

The Captain
12-28-2015, 04:58 AM
A replacement mast is available through Toyota and not $200. The nice stainless ones on eBay are $20. The plastic toothed cable is attached to the mast, not the motor. At the bottom of the motor assembly is a round housing that the cable is looped when the mast is down. If your cable broke near the top you have to open the round housing and remove the broken plastic toothed cable. It can only hold so much. Chuck it. Re-install the motor assembly into the car and turn on the radio. The motor makes a whirring sound so just wait until it stops on its own. At the same time a helper turns off the radio, feed the new masts toothed cable down the hole until the gear grabs it. Continue feeding it until the mast is fully retracted inside the motor assembly. The motor will stop on it's own. Re-install the lock nut over the mast top of the motor assembly. Easy peasy.

aka-Caneman
12-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the feedback. I kind of have a reoccurring waking nightmare about trying to reassemble all of the various parts that are stored in bins and whatever on the shelves in my garage. At 70 years old this worry is no longer about something that should be easy peasy. all of the interior plastic is out, as are the wheel liners, Eibech springs are sitting on a shelf (waiting for me to figure out how to use them without having my wheels bottom out on the struts' bottom "dish" as they are already doing because of the Celica 16" wheels I have mounted to replace the standard 14" ones that came on the car), the radio wasn't working as I remember, the dash lights aren't working, the euro-style folding mirrors aren't wired to work (I have all of the parts, including the relay and control switch, but I'm missing one of the molex plugs and the mirrors themselves are for euro right hand drive, so I'm looking at the convex mirror on the driver's left hand mirror, instead of the passenger mirror, as it would be in europe. I found a you-tube video explaining how to remove and replace the mirrors, but ...). You've probably got the idea. It all becomes overwhelming ... I try to remember that the car has a $3,000 custom paint job and a zero rust and dent body. But now I know why and can commiserate with other "hobby car" owners whose cars end up unfinished and languishing in a garage somewhere. But - I will PERSEVERE!