PDA

View Full Version : Non celica troubleshooting help

UtahSleeper
12-04-2015, 03:12 AM
So, I am trying to help a friend get his 2000 Sentra working correctly and need any assistance you wonderful people can offer :)

So, he recently had an issue where his car wouldnt start. He ended up having a coil replaced which allowed the car to start, but now the bigger problem is present.

When his car is warming up it is fine(open loop), but when it hits around 156 F it starts to stumble and dies shortly after. I tested this by letting it drop below 150 a couple times and starting it back up. It died around the same temp each time. I assume this is when its trying to hit closed loop.

Additionally, if I hold the throttle open, it will maintain running up to proper temps. Once I let go, it dies shortly after. During all this the o2 appears to be around .8 and .9 v, so rich which seems fine for open loop.

I am using torque pro for observations.

Any suggestions? Next thing I was considering was disconnecting 1 item at a time while idling and see if the car will continue to run.

Luni
12-04-2015, 09:07 PM
No codes at all?

UtahSleeper
12-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Negative. I am probably going to clean the tb and idle control valve tomorrow as a start

MCcelica
12-05-2015, 07:40 AM
I'd give the fuel system a good cleaning too.

UtahSleeper
12-10-2015, 04:17 AM
Well, I cleaned the idle control valve, but didn't trust it. Set the screw on the tb to be open a little. After getting it to run on its own, at around the 156 F mark, the car started forcing lots of air out the radiator. So, fluid sprays everywhere with hot air.

And not your standard burping air, actual air pressure. My first thought was head gasket(since it over heats with the rad cap on) and apparently nissan confirmed it. So, the dying thing was just a red herring for pressure building in the system.

Luni
12-11-2015, 01:32 AM
There you have it. Good job!