PDA

View Full Version : Body pieces gaskets? Universal replacement?

90ToyAllTrac
10-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Before I get my car painted Id to replace the gaskets that are on the bottom of the rear spoiler corners that mount on the top of the rear quarters. They are weather proof rubber and are about as thick and wide as a rubber band. The factory ones are nearly gone. I checked with 2 body/exterior shops and no one stocks any kind of universal replacements. Any ideas on what I could use? Or just go to fleet farm and look for anything to fit the bill?

90ToyAllTrac
10-21-2015, 04:13 PM
I found the perfect stuff at Mac's hardware price by the foot, black rubber sheeting damn close to factory strip width. Cuts easily.

Facime
10-21-2015, 08:06 PM
what was the product designed for? (what department) and whats the name of it?

I'm always looking for good substitute materials and this might be useful to me.

4thgenceli
10-21-2015, 08:46 PM
That's good to know. I'll be pulling the spoiler off to complete the buff and would like to replace it if needed.

I'm also curious about the stuff that holds the center trim piece on the body also.

The Captain
10-22-2015, 10:53 PM
I ordered all new stuff from Toyota when I did Princess. Been a while tho..

90ToyAllTrac
10-23-2015, 02:15 PM
This glue is the easiest frigging application ever! Never used glue this easy to apply and manage and not make a mess!. Weird tho you have to put on both surfaces and let sit for 10 min for solvents to evaporate then stick pieces together but it works friggin wicked awesome easy! If the guy mentioned the rubber product name I can't remember it. It's rubber that looks tough enough to handle a few winters up here and is flexible as hell and easy to cut and work with.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/2/7/2/wstripglue1.jpg http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/2/7/2/wstripglue2.jpg

Facime
10-23-2015, 08:06 PM
that's what's known as "contact cement"

and your "gasket" material looks like ...neoprene?