PDA

View Full Version : 1991 ST Suspension Arms

bigbang
10-08-2015, 01:29 AM
Seems like a lot of folks on here with GTs, but I have a lowly ST with the terrible rear end clunking. Already did the cheap and easy replacement of sway bar bushings and stabilizer links. The struts, though not new, seem to be OK. The last thing to do, I think, is the four Suspension arms. Called my local Toyota Dealer and they said they were discontinued. Looking online, there are a few dealers selling them for around $130 apiece. Dang. So is there an aftermarket alternative? Anyone refurbing these things? The dealer said the numbers for my ST (AT180 chassis) are 48730-20090 and 48710-20110. Anybody know any different? Any other ideas?

lamont
10-08-2015, 01:35 AM
Seems like a lot of folks on here with GTs, but I have a lowly ST with the terrible rear end clunking. Already did the cheap and easy replacement of sway bar bushings and stabilizer links. The struts, though not new, seem to be OK. The last thing to do, I think, is the four Suspension arms. Called my local Toyota Dealer and they said they were discontinued. Looking online, there are a few dealers selling them for around $130 apiece. Dang. So is there an aftermarket alternative? Anyone refurbing these things? The dealer said the numbers for my ST (AT180 chassis) are 48730-20090 and 48710-20110. Anybody know any different? Any other ideas?

It might be a good idea to get the car up on a lift or jackstands and try to recreate the clunk with a large pry bar on your suspension components. If not you are just going to replace parts that may or may not need to be replaced. It's far better to pinpoint the problem before spending any money.

Murgatroy
10-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Any suspension part that fits a GT or GT-S will fit an ST.

There is a company that makes a set of arms that fit the rear, but for most they will be overkill and cost prohibitive.

I would do like Lamont suggested and try to replicate the sound. My money is on the struts.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

bigbang
10-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Exactly where would I do the prying? I have tried bouncing the rear while it was up on a curb and I crawled under, but couldn't get it to clunk that way. The struts pass the "bounce test" as in the car does not bounce as it would if the struts were shot - it stabilizes immediately. My understanding is that these suspension arms are not the same as the GT series The ST uses the AT180 platform which differs from the ones used for GT models. Thanks for your feedback.

Murgatroy
10-09-2015, 11:56 AM
With the wheel off the ground, no weight on it, garb it and see if you can move it. That will give you an idea of the area that need replaced. It could be the hub, the struts or the arms. I still think the struts are too blame if they are original.

As for what fits an ST, well, I would probably the world's foremost expert on that topic.

The car in my signature started her life as an automatic AT180. After eating a dozen or so Celicas, of all years of the fifth gen, the only thing that identifies her as an AT180 is her engine and transmission. And that is only because the 3SGTE I bought her was melted.

She has coilovers that fit any FWD fifth gen, a full GT-S suspension, including arms, five lug hubs and brakes. Alltrac hood, nose and fenders, GT-S seats, five speed transmission, etc...

The only thing different about an AT180 is the engine and transmission and associated mounts.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

METDeath
10-09-2015, 01:02 PM
The major aftermarket option (from Techno Toy Tuning) does away with rubber, so will probably make more noise).

I recall some poly bushing replacement kit that requires melting out the old ones, but it also reduces movement due to how the bushing inserts into the arms.

That said, with a little work the 6th generation arms will work.

Even if you think the struts are good, there could be some play in the assembly (top nut may not be 100% tight).

bigbang
10-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. I can not find any play in the rear wheels doing the suggested test. It's basically what I do to check for bearing failure. The struts are Monroe struts that I put on about 12 years ago. I did the fronts at the same time and they failed a couple of years ago but got free replacements due to their lifetime warranty. Those front ones were toast. The rears are still solid. I've checked torque on all mounting hardware. I've thought of taking them off and remounting if I can't isolate anything. Good to know about the AT180 architecture.

bigbang
10-19-2015, 12:13 AM
Ok, today I got my son to really pull on the rear wheel with the tires on the ground and got clunking at the Suspension arms. Grabbed on to them and they were banging away. Pretty sure that is the issue. Regarding the comment about 6th gen arms working "with a little work", What is the 'work" that is required to do this? Thanks.

Murgatroy
10-19-2015, 10:13 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?34935-HOWTO-Fifth-to-sixth-gen-suspension-member-conversion&p=29936312#post29936312