PDA

View Full Version : 3sge swap.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
09-18-2015, 03:47 PM
I know this has had to be done by some people on here. I was thinking about the red top 3sge engine. Way more aftermarket for this engine as opposed to the 5sfe.

So my question is what has to be done to do this swap? And can you use the 5sfe tranny? I will probably end up using my NA tranny out of my mr2 to do this swap when it comes to it.

Depending if it would be cheaper rebuilding the 5sfe or buying a barley used 3sge JDM engine.

Opinions please.

METDeath
09-18-2015, 09:57 PM
If you're going to swap, might as well go 3S-GTE unless you just don't want a turbo for some reason?

The S53 from a FWD Celica is fine, the S54 from the 94-99 FWD Celica is a bit preferred as it generally viewed as a stronger transmission, keep in mind highway mileage will be lower due to the shorter gear ratios of the S54... plus having a performance orientated motor rather than an economic one.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
09-19-2015, 06:38 AM
I have a 5sgte hybrid build. The block came out of my celica and its being used for my mr2 build. And quite frankly doing a turbo swap is not worth it in a front wheel drive cAr. For me doing my turbo swap in my mr2 you have to source turbo hubs and axles which are not cheap to say the least. I'm having chiko race work axles made for my mr2 that were 1400 dollars and my hubs were 265 dollars.

So I was thinking doing a 3sge swap for my celica to keep it as a reliable commuter would be woth it. Or spend the money and buy a reman 5s head and have machine work done to the block.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
09-19-2015, 06:41 AM
I'm lucky enough to have a spare 3s motor to take parts off it to build my monster hybrid engine.