PDA

View Full Version : Need some help: Engine turns, guzzles gas and like He Man has the power but no BANG, no go

Physlis
08-27-2015, 04:26 AM
Been a while since I was on here but I need some serious assistance. Last night I had my timing belt changed. The guy was buttoning everything up as I got there, just had to put the cruise control back in place and bolt it and the power steering reservior back into place. He started it up to show me it was all ready, got everything bolted down and started it up again just to be sure. Then his foot slipped off the clutch and he must've left it in gear because it lurched and stalled. No big, right? Well we tried to start it again and it wouldn't fire. So we start trying to figure it out. First thing I mention is gas, I was running low when I rolled in, maybe it just missed the pickup, so we put some gas in, still nothing. We check for spark, it's sparking. We check that the fuel pump is working, it's pumping. So we check the timing alignment, still good. We try it again, nothing. We pull #1 plug and check to see if the cylinder is up at TDC, sure is. While the plug's out we cycle the engine by hand; Piston goes down smooth, comes back up and I can see fuel misting out on compression, and the cylinder stops just as the pulley reaches TDC again. We check fuses, relays, plugs, everything looks in order so we try again. Same thing! I even tried jumping the car thinking maybe it's just not ENOUGH spark, still nada. Neither of us knew where to go from there, we followed everything in my Haynes manual as far as troubleshooting this went.

Long story short: Car has fuel, fuel is reaching the engine (you can smell it after a few attempts), spark IS reaching the plugs, plugs are properly gapped, and it's in proper timing alignment. Is there something we might have missed? Is there something electrical that might not give the motor the signal to run? Is it possible that somehow the distributor got off somehow but is still sending spark?

The only thing that's off about the car right now is the ignition cylinder thinks the key is in all the time, so I can't lock the doors unless I do it from the passenger side with the driver door shut.

*edit* Guess I should've mentioned it earlier, it a '90 GTS, 5SFE, 260,xxx miles

I really hope someone can help me out with this, I hate having my car down for dumb stuff.

alltracman78
08-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Hahahaha you got me with the title, I had to see what the problem was. :P

Unless the crank pulley is broken the #1 cylinder will always be at TDC when the pulley is at 0*. It has to.
Did you check cam timing?
If it is ok, do a compression check.
If you have fuel, spark and compression the engine will run.

Also, I can't see the cam gearing [inside the head, not the timing gears] jumping a tooth, but I guess if you can't find anything else it wouldn't hurt to check that.

Physlis
08-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Had to grab attention somehow lol.

We checked the cam timing and it's correct too, guess a compression check is in order. What's baffling is it was running fine until he accidentally dumped the clutch. All I get now is a constant turning over, just doesn't hook up.

alltracman78
08-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Yeah, it sounds to me like your belt jumped a few teeth, but you're sure the timing is right.
That's why I mentioned the teeth on the camshaft gears inside the valve cover.

The Captain
08-29-2015, 06:41 PM
Yeah, it sounds to me like your belt jumped a few teeth, but you're sure the timing is right.
That's why I mentioned the teeth on the camshaft gears inside the valve cover.
+1