PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof drain tubes

Nitro_Alltrac
08-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Anybody know where the damn sunroof drains are supposed to come out on the bottom of the car?

I'm getting ready to weld the new piece of quarter panel in and I can't tell where the drain tube is supposed to go out of the car. I think mine may have been cut at one time as the bottom of it is cut an angle and not square. There wasn't anything left of the bottom of that side from the rust and I'm not really seeing anything on the other side.

I really wish this car didn't have the sunroof.:huh:

Shadowlife25
08-16-2015, 12:40 AM
The drain tubes run down the A pillars if I recall correctly. If not, then it is down the rear pillar. Not a big help here I am afraid. :) All the best Mike.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-16-2015, 03:25 AM
Thanks Mario.

There maybe some in the front but the ones I was talking about are in the back.

I finally figured it out. There is a freakin' hole in the lower part of the quarter panel, about 8 inches or so from where it attaches to the rocker. It has a white plastic grommet in it. This is the drain. No wonder I couldn't tell where it went, it had crumbed with the rest of the rusty quarter panel and it's hidden by the plastic finish panel on the right side.

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. Now wonder we get rust in the quarters there. The hose doesn't connect to it, it just drains into the quarter/inner rocker area and final goes out that hole. Looks like a piece of GM engineering from the '70's.

MCcelica
08-16-2015, 05:32 AM
You can probably re-direct it to drain out on top of the rear side of the fender wells like the 7th gen does.

alltracman78
08-19-2015, 12:18 AM
I thought they drained through the holes in the pinch welded seam.

The tube is supposed to be cut at an angle, the water drains out that way. If it's cut square the water will want to stay in the tube. It helps break the surface tension.
Same reason you put cotter pins in drain holes.

locker
08-20-2015, 04:02 PM
there are 4 tubes. 2 down the A pillar and two down the back pillar going behind the rear speakers. In the rockers there are 4 circular holes that the tubes feed into.
I hope that helps. I wish I had better pictures of the bare interior to point it out...

Nitro_Alltrac
08-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Mine are angle cut. When I went put new panel in I found the drain holes. Fucked up system in my book for the rear drains.