PDA

View Full Version : New to car world

jdang000
06-05-2015, 11:08 PM
So I plan on buying a toyota celica around me but most of them are well over 150k miles but the cost is where I like. it ranges from around 3000 to 4000 dollars in Pennsylvania and I would like to know what should I be looking out for when buying a used celica that has such miles ! I'm new to this whole thing and plan on tuning the car but I'm not an enthusiast so I have very little knowledge about how to upgrade or what's important to work on first. if someone has the time to go down with basics with me, I'd be greatly appreciated! I love celicas and it's always been my dream to own one and make it sound nice but also able perform as well as it looks ! I know the GTS is a lot better but I plan on looking for a GT due to financial reasons

The Captain
06-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Welcome. What years are you looking at?

jdang000
06-06-2015, 06:26 PM
2000 to 2005

The Captain
06-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Ah 7th gen. Personally not an expert on those. There are plenty here though.

crymson
06-09-2015, 04:05 AM
Don't bother with the GT, you want the GTS. The engine in the GTs before 2003 have oil consumption problems, and they're anemic. It's worth the money to get the GTS.

if you go for the GTS there's a couple of things to consider. The 00-01s engage lift sooner than the later one, with the 03 engaging last. The 03+ had glass sunroofs, and an leveling factory HID option.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jdang000
06-11-2015, 03:22 AM
I've been meaning to look for a gts but there aren't really good ones in my area. What should I be looking out for when I buy a celica ?

crymson
06-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Well, on the 7th gen GTS, spinning a bearing is a death sentence for the short block, anything that knocks is bad, real bad, unless you're up for replacing an engine stay away. if it's an early model (before 03 IIRC) you want to see the lift bolt (Toyota calls them flange bolt) have been replaced. If they've sheered there a pain to replace. oil consumption is bad in the both the 2zz and the 1zz motors (GTS and GT respectively). The manual transmissions are not as over engineered as we'd all like, a high revving miss-shift can destroy them, so make sure the transmission is in working order. Read the codes, make sure they haven't been cleared, since there are some maintenance items that can be hidden that way.

Generally though the biggest problem with the cars is their popularity with the ricer crowd, they make bad quality modifications, and put a lot of wear on cars. I'd look for a car that is relatively stock, for something with 150K miles and relatively clean I'd look to pay somewhere around 3-4K.

For comparison I paid ~8K for a car with 65K miles with single owner in 2010. It was a bit of sweet deal I admit.

jdang000
06-11-2015, 06:48 AM
I love how detailed you went with all this. This gives me a better understanding of everything due to me being a complete novice and have such little knowledge on these things. I plan on getting a GT due to my financial reasons unless I see a GTS for around the same price. Me buying a Celica will definitely get me out of a financial problem due to my mother's car breaking down almost every week and spending 250 to 300 a week fixing it. But as of now I plan on buying a GT and It's very important I know everyrhing that I need to know that'll keep the car running and healthy because it's my dream car and I want it to be reliable. I don't know whether or not I want an automatic or a manual transmission. I'm not experienced in the manual transmission and was wondering if it'll be a good idea for me to practice and train on it or not. the year of the Celica doesn't bother me as long as I get the Celica I'll be happy. I did find 2 Celicas online that were a very promising price but I don't know what I'll be in for or know what kind of things they're trying to pull !

jdang000
06-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Here's the first one:
(southjersey . craigslist . org/cto/5027641471 . html)

I added spaces around the periods due to the website not letting me able to post links!

jdang000
06-11-2015, 06:53 AM
And here's the second one:
(southjersey . craigslist . org/cto/5051347647 . html)

Same deal. Added spaces and thr parenthesis !

andy
06-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Paging Dr. Bugs. We need that 7th gen player from way back. Also Ryan.