PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about changing a front axle

Nitro_Alltrac
05-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Just a quick question about changing a front axle.

Can you put the axle nut back on the end and tap the outer joint out of the bearing or is it best to use a gear puller (that's what the SST looks like in the BGB) to more or less press it out?

I've got a clicking noise that's just started in the front when turning left and I've found that the right outer boot is split open. I'm just going to do the whole axle instead of just the joint and the boot. Just want to make sure that I don't screw up the bearing getting it out. The rest doesn't look bad.

One more thing. The bolts that hold the inside joint to the stub axle in the transmission, those are allen head bolts right, not standard hex head bolts? If so, anybody know what size allen wrench is needed?

The Captain
05-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Yes on the press.

Yes on the hex bolts.

No idea what the size is.

Is the bearing in need of replacement or are you just doing it because you're most of the way there?

Nitro_Alltrac
05-12-2015, 08:52 PM
No, the bearing is fine. I have had to change it twice since I've the car though. First time it toasted the hub so that got replaced. I evidently got a bad bearing and ending up replacing it about a year later. No problem with bearing since then.

I'm just looking at replacing the axle due to the CV joint going.

4thgenceli
05-12-2015, 08:59 PM
I bought one of the Craftsman hex key socket sets and the middle one worked (very specific..I know). I'd venture a guess that it was a T7 size?

Night_Wolf
05-12-2015, 09:17 PM
I actually think the 7 is gonna be too small. I did the axle on the half trac and I'm using MR2 inners and my hex bolts are an 8 (just crawled under the car to double check)

4thgenceli
05-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Hah.

Close enough. 7, 8, what's 1mm?

Nitro_Alltrac
05-13-2015, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys. That get's me close. I'm pretty sure I've got those sizes. I can check ahead of time.

Luni
05-14-2015, 06:39 AM
I just use the axle nut socket and a damn hammer and beat the fucker out.

Youre just trying to pull the axle out of the hub assembly right? Just spry some PB on the splines (PB or Liquid Wrench or Kroil or something like that) and let it penetrate (give it 5-10 mins). Spray some more, then yeah, screw down the axle nut so its not all the way down, but its grabbed some threads, put the axle nut on it, and hit the mother fucker. It should pop back.

Im not sure what size those allen bolts are. Do yourself a favor when reassembling, use locktite. For real. Its real easy to not tighten those bitches on enough and for them to come loose. Locktite those fuckers. Experience speaking here.

I dont mean the outer nut, dont locktite that. Just locktite those allens holding the inner stub to the outer cv axle.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks Luni. That's what I was thinking you could do getting the old one out.

Good suggestion on the locktite on the inner bolts.

Facime
05-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Ive never had an axle so tight in the hub that anything more than an easy tap wouldn't knock it free. You also need to unbolt the lower ball joint to and pull the whole away from the axle to get enough room to get the axle completely out.

jdm_celica_gts
05-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Just changed mine a few weeks ago.
The Allen bolt is an 8

Nitro_Alltrac
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Ive never had an axle so tight in the hub that anything more than an easy tap wouldn't knock it free. You also need to unbolt the lower ball joint to and pull the whole away from the axle to get enough room to get the axle completely out.

Thanks Pete. I wondered about that. I saw that's the way in the BGB but I wondered if it was actually necessary.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Just changed mine a few weeks ago.
The Allen bolt is an 8

Thanks for the confirmation.

Luni
05-20-2015, 10:39 PM

I have. Thus the suggestion for pb blaster. Wont hurt anything. Might help.