PDA

View Full Version : My 1985 GT-S!

VikingJZ
04-28-2015, 05:53 PM
1985 Celica GT-S
111,000 documented original miles (Not bad!)

So I was in need of a DD for the time being until I pick up my Civic at some point this summer.

I found this locally and fell in love. I was never a huge 3rd gen fan, but for the price and timing, I couldn't pass it up. It wasn't a steal or anything, but a fair price for a nice car.

This might be a car I finally do a swap in. I think a 1U would be fun. My dad is already wanting it if I ever decide I want to sell it, so we may do the swap as a father son project. We had initially picked up an LS1 for our old RX7, but he wanted to sell it because he just got tired of it and never drove it. I think he realized finally that an automatic RX7 is boring as hell.

For now, it's old man stock. Still has the carpeted floor mats.

Not a ton of rust for one of these around here. Typical emblem hatch rust and a few other spots. I have a lead on a Supra hatch in the same color.

Interior is minty!

I have yet to wash/claybar/wax the car yet, but I can tell it's going to turn out super nice!

Here's a few teaser pics before I get the car detailed tomorrow morning after going to the DMV.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/audstuen/1985%20Toyota%20Celica%20GT-S/11146556_10205175474764025_6568208794770421424_n.j pg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/audstuen/1985%20Toyota%20Celica%20GT-S/IMG_1958.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/audstuen/1985%20Toyota%20Celica%20GT-S/IMG_1959.jpg

VikingJZ
04-28-2015, 06:03 PM
I already have 3 1/2" round speakers for the front on order from the local parts store/audio shop. Great place and I've always gone there for my car audio needs.

Somewhere I have a new set of cheap 4" rounds for the back. If I can't find them, I'll just go buy a new set. I don't need the sound to be spectacular, but I do want it to not crackle and pop when I crank my Motley Crue.

The Captain
04-29-2015, 01:56 AM
Murg says those are easy to drift! w00t!

tuner4life
04-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Looks very nice! Where did you find that?

Murgatroy
04-29-2015, 08:01 PM
Mad tyte dorifto...

VikingJZ
04-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Looks very nice! Where did you find that?

Some guy had it in Granger! I had to wait for him to get the title transferred into his name from the old title, but I'm enjoying it. I hate the sunroof switch closing function though. It's annoying

I went Hundt's yesterday to get a few things for it since I figured they'd still have the same three or four that have been there for the past ten years. They were pretty picked over, but it was a nice day for a cruise and got me out of the house for a little bit. I grabbed a new cowl cover because mine had a rip in it and was all dented for some reason, so I POR15'd underneath and epoxy painted the new one. Huge difference! I went there wanting to grab something else and then forgot what I wanted to get halfway home. Oh well. Next week. I'm sure all three will still be there.

Last night I claybar treated and waxed it. I also Plasti-Dipped the rims, leaving the lip silver. I'm going to polish the lips up. I don't have time to refinish them like I'd like to. Looks kind of cool. I left the center caps and lugs chrome.

It drives really nice, so I'm happy with it.

The 76 is down for a while until I get a new brake master cylinder (Leaks a little). But I'm just going to redo a few things in the brake system, so I'm setting aside money for that crap.

tuner4life
05-01-2015, 12:11 PM
The 3rd gens at hundts are about useless anymore, plus they want a million dollars for everything now.

BTW, you can take the map light apart and "fix" the sunroof switch pretty easily.

VikingJZ
05-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah I noticed. It was worth a look, but I didn't really need much anyway. I just had the day off and figured I'd go see how cannibalized they were lol.

VikingJZ
05-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Now it's on to speakers.

Crutchfield was wrong on the sizes, or I misread it. Seems this car has five total speakers (3.5" round up front, one 4" round on the passenger side lower dash, and 5x7" in the back.). They all needed to be replaced, so I'm working on that tonight.

VikingJZ
05-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Over the weekend I decided to say F it to the OEM deck. I have a nice Pioneer laying around that will be better for my iPoo and tele. Unfortunately no one had the wire harness in stock to do the radio, so the only station that comes in is the talk radio channel. I can deal with that for a few days I guess.

Saturday was the maiden voyage from the car nest area of Michiana. I took the gal I'm seeing to White Castle (Closest is about an hour away, straight down US31). She's from Lacey, WA (Seattle area) and had never had the Castle that is White before, so we popped the sunroof and the windows and cruised. It was fun! And most importantly, the car did great. THe joy of driving it was complimented by a few other things I received while driving to get the food ;)

VikingJZ
05-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Radio installed!

And I had to replace the alternator. Not a bad lifespan for the original one.

Facime
05-11-2015, 06:45 PM
it looks really nice, a definite restoration candidate. Just keep improving it and keep it maintained and it will live up well next to your 1G.

Shadowlife25
05-16-2015, 12:44 AM
You should check out Parts-express.com for speakers. They have lots of great deals and a massive selection. Sonicelectronics.com also has a decent selection and they do run deals now and again. For install stuff and some more "specialty" drivers if that is your thing, you can check out Madisound.com

You can get drivers in any size you need for OEM gear. Nice thing is that upgraded materials mean they will last you a nice long time and not be sunfaded, brittle and have crumbling surrounds. ;)
Anyhow, nice find bud!