PDA

View Full Version : Ash tray to coin (or other object) holder insert?

METDeath
04-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Just seeing who would be interested in an insert that fits the stock 5th gen ash tray and converts it into a coin holder, or any other object holder that wouldn't allow them to slide all over the place and make odd noises in while driving around?

I'm thinking about making either an angled coin holder that has slots for single coins, or more likely a spring loaded holder.

This is currently just for the common US coins (penny, nickel, dime, quarter). Other currencies are an option if you get me dimensions on the coins.

Shadowlife25
04-18-2015, 12:27 AM
I would. Especially since it is the only damn place to keep change/spare fuses in the Celica without making a huge pain in the ass to access.
I wanted to look into adapting the center console armrest area, possibly adapting the one from the 7g Accord but I think our setups are much too narrow.
Reason being it has a split top (2 sections inside) with built in coin holder and the topmost lid slides forward and makes a really nice arm rest.

Meh

METDeath
04-18-2015, 04:08 AM
Well, could much more easily make a coin holder for the small section of the armrest... granted, there'd have to be two variants (CD vs tape holders, I think...).

However, the ash tray is mostly useless. I'm going to be working on a 3D printed solution (yay 3D printing!)

I'm also going to try making new tweeter covers since I bought the last one (driver's side was all that was left) from Toyota.

Shadowlife25
04-18-2015, 09:10 AM
If you want to reproduce small parts that are NLA, you should really look into a 3D scanning booth. It is possible to DIY them too, but still costly.
I would look into getting into a class at the local college that teaches 3D modeling, they tend to have industrial grade 3D printers on site that are already calibrated.
You might even ask them to print your designs for you. Only a suggestion for the time you are going to spend calibrating your own setup, depending on the timeline you have planned for this project.
Chris has all the necessary programs to help you in this, I am sure he wouldn't mind if you asked him.
Sadly after my last PC meltdown, I no longer have any of my modeling software. :(

METDeath
04-18-2015, 10:20 AM
If you want to reproduce small parts that are NLA, you should really look into a 3D scanning booth. It is possible to DIY them too, but still costly.
I would look into getting into a class at the local college that teaches 3D modeling, they tend to have industrial grade 3D printers on site that are already calibrated.
You might even ask them to print your designs for you. Only a suggestion for the time you are going to spend calibrating your own setup, depending on the timeline you have planned for this project.
Chris has all the necessary programs to help you in this, I am sure he wouldn't mind if you asked him.
Sadly after my last PC meltdown, I no longer have any of my modeling software. :(

I already have modeling software, and one of the easiest to use 3D printers on the market. So it just takes a bit of time and measurements. I also have 3D image capture programs and a Xbox 360 Kinect sensor! So really, I can make a scan of the ashtray, then delete it from a block to start.

I've already decided that I'm going to make a replacement retaining/removal flap that is slimmer than the standard one. It will be ABS to be more durable, the other option is to chop the metal flap.

However, this will probably be a few months in the making as I tend to be pretty busy with work and on travel.

crymson
04-18-2015, 08:54 PM
You can use a kinect as a 3d scanner?

Shadowlife25
04-18-2015, 10:15 PM

As long as you set your piece up on a rotating platform to ensure the part is on an even base plane, yeah. The Kinect uses a stereoscopic camera setup.
Handheld 3D scanners use similar along with a laser grid array to allow for creating spatial coordinates.

METDeath
04-19-2015, 07:44 AM

http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Scan-and-Print-Yourself-using-FREE-software/step2/3D-Scan-ReconstructMe/

There are other examples using car hubs as spindles and making a motor driven one for a whole person... I may end up doing that just to scan/print a cosplay friend of mine so she can have her own figurine.

Shadowlife25
04-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Nice! Cool that you have come to the dark side of nerdiness :D :P

METDeath
04-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Nice! Cool that you have come to the dark side of nerdiness :D :P

Uh... where the hell have you been? I've been on the dark side a LONG time. I was raised on the dark side... you merely adopted it.

caneman
04-21-2015, 03:17 AM
I'm going to be working on a 3D printed solution (yay 3D printing!)

I'm also going to try making new tweeter covers since I bought the last one (driver's side was all that was left) from Toyota.

Hello all. Well, I made it to 70 (thanks for all the cards and gifts).

METDeath, Speak to me about having purchased the LAST tweeter cover from Toyota. THE VERY LAST ONE? I guess that I knew this day would come; when parts for our Toyotas would be nla, but am a little shocked that that day has come. What else is on the nla list for the Gen5's?

More to the point, talk to me about what a tweeter set is now worth. I do believe that I have two clean sets in my parts bin. :-)

METDeath
04-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Hello all. Well, I made it to 70 (thanks for all the cards and gifts).

METDeath, Speak to me about having purchased the LAST tweeter cover from Toyota. THE VERY LAST ONE? I guess that I knew this day would come; when parts for our Toyotas would be nla, but am a little shocked that that day has come. What else is on the nla list for the Gen5's?

More to the point, talk to me about what a tweeter set is now worth. I do believe that I have two clean sets in my parts bin. :-)

Congrats!

According to my local dealer and several online dealers, only the one of driver's side was available, and the passenger side no longer available.
There may still be a driver's side floating around out there.

On the bright side the hatch privacy cover is still available for a cool $300-400.

When you say clean, does this mean metal clip and two plastic posts still intact? If so PM me a picture.

MCcelica
04-26-2015, 06:33 AM
This is just something oddball that I thought of. I don't want one for this application for obvious reasons, but it would be possible to modify the ash tray for an additional (and hidden) extra power output. You can make the drawer to accept the universal lighters (or 110?) that get sold at autozone et al, and just leave a little slack on the wires. Can't ever have too much power, especially in older cars.

METDeath
04-26-2015, 09:08 AM
This is just something oddball that I thought of. I don't want one for this application for obvious reasons, but it would be possible to modify the ash tray for an additional (and hidden) extra power output. You can make the drawer to accept the universal lighters (or 110?) that get sold at autozone et al, and just leave a little slack on the wires. Can't ever have too much power, especially in older cars.

Yeah, just a matter of getting the correct ash tray for measurements (for my manufacture).

In the black car I had a hole drilled in the back and ran a USB extension from the head unit so that if someone had a USB thumb drive or device with music accessible via USB other than a 30-pin Apple device they could plug it in. So you could so something similar using a bit of wire loom to protect the power cables and splice into the stock outlet. Then just leave a standard plug "loose" in the ash tray.

Shadowlife25
04-27-2015, 02:44 AM
While I like what you are thinking with the hidden power plug in the ashtray thing Seth, you have to also think about how much clutter that would create by the shifter area. There isn't honestly much space there and things get slidey pretty quick. :)
I would try to do something on the side over by the passenger footwell/center console kind of where the ECU is located in the 5g. Fairly sure it is just a plastic cover there and would be a good spot to add an outlet.

celica9303
05-04-2015, 04:40 AM
As far as the coin tray they are out there, but only in JDM models, it was never an option in the states.

I have onehttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/9d7c96481bbcac027295ec9a07c47db5.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/dfbfc339b0d005ad1932babcca099c65.jpg

It's wrapped in velvet. In a rhd console it is also auto open (just press it and it slides open) but in our lhd consoles it doesn't work so I just put it in my normal ashtray holder and it works great

Shadowlife25
05-04-2015, 09:40 AM
So aside from the No Smoking sticker and the insert they are the same?

celica9303
05-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Yes, I'll pull it out and take more pics after work tonight

celica9303
05-06-2015, 05:32 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/f859fde8dccec51b2477bf89de6a0c13.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/d7431ffed5d582e9feb462b578cd0506.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/9e9a4e6b917880e3bd77a6148ce00500.jpg

I couldn't get the insert to come out without fear of damage to it.

celica9303
05-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Sorry my flash washed out the velvet color lol