PDA

View Full Version : Popping out of 5th

Physlis
04-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my '90 GT-S; it's starting to work its way out of 5th while driving, usually when I let off the gas. I found somewhere a while back that the Toyota pickups had a similar problem and the bushings may have been at fault, but I'm not sure it applies here. I swapped over to a TWM kit a few years ago, not sure if that would hold any sway on it. I'm just hoping it's not a synchro problem.

Any info or advice is appreciated.

Shadowlife25
04-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Those transmissions are cheap and readily available, just swap it out.
For reference I had the same happen in my original ST many years ago. Swapping it is the simplest and least expensive solution.
Bonus is that since it isn't an AllTrac, it won't take long at all.

UtahSleeper
04-11-2015, 04:42 AM
Don't some clutches cause this when they are going out?

Shadowlife25
04-11-2015, 05:09 AM
Not in my experience. Can be that it is a cable issue (but that typically affects more than one gear and doesn't kick it out)
Clutch disc could present with other symptoms like difficulty engaging gears or inability to shift into them. Full lock out if it has tossed springs.
I think the synchronizer and retainer for the gear are shot. It is the most likely scenario.
Much simpler to toss in a new(used) transmission unit rather than tear down and rebuild it for that setup.
Take about 7-8 hours start to finish and is a solid day off job. Likely less time but it all depends on experience and familiarity.
Not familiar with the TWM kit he mentioned, but if memory serves that should just be a short throw shifter, which affects nothing internal to the transmission unit itself and is only the shift lever?
Shifter bushings (engine bay side) would make things perhaps bind a bit if they were broken...

I don't know. I would inspect everything external that you can get to easily and make sure nothing is binding before you go any further.
On the plus side, the fact that it kicks out of 5th and is still driveable is good. This means you can still operate the car as normal until you are ready to swap the transmission.
I drove 1500 miles in my Celica to make it back to California when mine went out and there were no additional issues from it. You just have to hold it in the 5th gear position manually.

Luni
04-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Ive seen motor mounts do it also. If the engine is rocking excessively it can cause the cable to pull the gearshifter back to neutral.

The Captain
04-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Same thing happened to the vert. Remove and replace. I think it was $65 at Pull A Part.

Shadowlife25
04-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Same thing happened to the vert. Remove and replace. I think it was $65 at Pull A Part.

About the same for my original ST that had this issue.

buffalohunter7321
04-14-2015, 12:05 AM
Well , My FX-16 did this to me last year when I went to DFW Texas to pick up my built 5s. I am still driving it with a round bungee cord looped through where the radio should be. Been driving it that way and still will be until I swap it out fore a six speed.
I use the bungee cord because my hand gets tired of holding it in gear. Remember I am old.

Murgatroy
04-14-2015, 03:10 AM
I use a TWM Save the Manuals bracelet looped around the shifter and my CB.

Physlis
04-14-2015, 02:58 PM
In the thought of swapping trannys, and speaking of 6-speeds; has anyone done a 6-speed swap yet? If I'm changing it out I want to upgrade, that extra gear would be a life saver.

MCcelica
04-14-2015, 11:24 PM
I don't believe the C60 (from a 7th gen GTS) would work as I believe they are capable of bolting up to an A series motor. But even if it did, the 5S drives much more torque than the 2zz. You'd burn out 1st pretty quick as it's a pretty short gear even for the 2zz.

Luni
04-15-2015, 07:44 PM
There isnt a 6 speed that will really fit man.

crymson
04-18-2015, 09:08 PM
What about one of the newer 6 speeds? I'm thinking like maybe the tC gearbox?

MCcelica
04-19-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure which gear box they use for the newest generation, but most of the drive train is interchangeable between the older TC's and the 7th gen.

Physlis
06-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Well as a small update it looks like the Tacoma guys were right; the lower bushing is pretty much toast on my shifter. It actually let go on me today but I have it "fixed" enough to get me where I need to go. Looks like I'll have to track down some new ones in the immediate future.