PDA

View Full Version : Need some help removing spark plug tubes!

desertguy
03-27-2015, 08:40 PM
My '92 Celica 5SFE 5 speed had overheated and actually melted the spark plug tubes onto the spark plugs, inside the spark plug tubes. The overheating problem has been fixed. I need to fix it, already bought new wires and plugs but I can't get out the gunk out inside the tubes!

Please help - is there a way to get these tubes off? I can't find a Toyota TSRM (repair manual, pdf). I took the valve cover off but I don't know which bolt is the ones to take off the tubes.

Thanks.3458

Murgatroy
03-27-2015, 08:51 PM
What caused the problem? Are you sure that it is fixed and the only damage was the melted spark plug wires?

The reason I ask this is because I just recently acquired an engine that had been overheated, to the point of melting the spark plug wires. That isn't a simple one time deal. That is an engine that has been over heated, and over heated, and over heated time and again. When we pulled this engine apart it had not only warped the head it had a melted piston.

If you have only pulled the valve cover, are you sure your head gasket and head are okay?

For reference it was a blown hose that had caused this engine to over heat. The previous owner just continued to fill the coolant and run it again. Where it would continue to over heat. He replaced the radiator and thermostat, but never addressed the bad hose to the point he ruined the engine.

As far as getting the tubes out, yes, use a pipe wrench and they unscrew.

Shadowlife25
03-27-2015, 10:57 PM
After checking what Murg said and if you are sure you are pulling the tubes, like he said, a pipe wrench will do the job. Apply firm even pressure and they will come.
IIRC they are held in place with red loc-tite on the under side so may take a bit of force.

Luni
03-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Pipe Wrench will do it.

When you put them back on, dont use locktite, use RTV or better yet, FIPG.

Dont worry about marring the tube, you WILL put tooth marks in them, but its not a big deal. Ive never had one I couldnt pull out with a good pipe wrench. Use a pipe as a torque extension if you need. Sometimes these bitches are really in there.

METDeath
03-30-2015, 11:30 AM
You could also thread one of the nuts on upside down and a then place another one on top of it provided you used a regular wrench and not a socket to remove them.

If you grab the tube with a wrench just make sure to remove any possible loose material with a sanding/grinding tool. Then clean it off.

Luni
03-31-2015, 08:37 PM
Sometimes the 2 nut trick works, sometimes it doesnt, depends on how tight that bitch is on there.

Like I said, Ive done quite a few of these.