PDA

View Full Version : ST165 rear subframe / rear drive assembly removal

4thgenceli
03-23-2015, 10:51 PM
I have a soft copy of the BGB for the 165 I've been reviewing and have a general understanding of it. I need 'the whole rear subframe assembly'. If this includes the hubs I don't know (I hope not so I can roll this shell out when I'm done).

What would be the most efficient way to remove everything? I'm thinking of disconnecting the rear axles at the rear differential and removing the axles one by one. Once those are out I was planning on removing the various suspension links between the subframe & the hub / a-frame. Then drop the subframe & differential.

Also...will the 165 chassis roll without the rear subframe installed? I just need to roll it on & off a trailer.

locker
03-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Since this almost exactly the same as the 185 its not that bad.
disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff.
your going to want to remove the axels from both the diff and the hub.
next your going to want to undo the the arms that attach the subframe to the hubs. Disconnect them from the hubs. (make sure to leave the trailing arms... the arm on each side that connect the body to the hub)
Once that is done you will have the 4 main subframe bolts and the 2 brackets towards the center of the car to undo then the subframe will quite literally fall on the ground.
Its actually pretty simple and straight forward as long as nothing is seized.

I put a floor jack under the diff to hold it in place so once all the bolts were out I could slowly lower it to the ground.
Also this will allow you to push it onto a trailer but its kinda sketchy. the rear end will sway side to side. I had to lift the rear end up on mine a few times to get things back into position but it will work and appears safe. (nothing bad happened to me and I move the car on and off trailers a few times to get from my place to sandblasting, then paint and then home again.)

Hope this helps.

underscore
03-26-2015, 11:43 PM
So you want to remove just the subframe and diff?

4thgenceli
03-27-2015, 12:59 AM
Yes. I'm getting one that has no rear diff or drivetrain. I don't know if it has any of the arms though. I was told that I need to leave the rear control arms so it can roll.

locker
03-27-2015, 01:00 AM
You only need the links that go from front to back. The other 2 attach to the subframe

4thgenceli
03-27-2015, 01:36 AM
Those are the two I've disconnected alteady. I'm hoping to get everything removed this weekend so I can start

RedRkt01
03-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Maybe I'm not clear on what you're doing or why, but I'm curious to know if you have a subframe coming available......know a guy in OR that needs one.

Shadowlife25
03-27-2015, 03:57 AM
He does not. He is removing it to to transfer to a better chassis.

ChrisD
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Rolling it without the subframe sounds sketchy. Since the control arms and axles will be off, the only thing holding the wheel is the strut / shock and the rear trailing arms.

Taking the subframe out itself is not so bad, depending on rust. If you have a good impact it will make things much faster. Driveshafts, control arms, axles, big bolts and lower with a jack under. Just had mine out to swap in poly bushings and a 205 different / subframe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

underscore
03-28-2015, 02:49 PM
I'd probably try to tie the rear arms together with a piece of wood or something, to keep the wheels from moving too far side to side while it's rolling. There's also nothing convenient to tie the end of the driveshaft to IIRC, so I'd be worried about that dragging as well. If you can I'd loosely plop just the subframe back in there before rolling it. I also wouldn't roll it without the rear axles as you risk damage to the bearings.